Storing eggs for incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horseemom, Mar 9, 2008.

1. horseemom

horseemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    This may have been asked somewhere? I am new [​IMG]

I would like to share some of my Pekin Duck eggs with those in my community. How do I store the incubated eggs? I only have the one female so average one a day or every 2 days. After she lays them they sit and get quite cold? Is that ruining them? I have been bringing them in before night and just put them in a bowl in the warmest room.

I just have no idea, but there are a few ads with people looking for eggs around here, I would love to help spread the ducky love [​IMG]
    Any help much appreciated.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Like 60 degrees is good, 60% humidity. Put them in a carton, and put a book under one side to elevate it, then put the book on the other side 3 times a day or so. This keeps the yolks from sticking to the shell.

3. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    You do have a drake right? The eggs should only be held for incubation a max of 9 days

4. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Whoops! The cold isnt ruining them, as long as they dont freeze.

5. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    Pekin eggs? hmmm there is a lonely drake here-lol--but he has been seen in the company of a mallard henI think she may be staying the night [​IMG]

6. horseemom

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    Tee Hee!!! Yes of course I have a drake [​IMG] A real hottie too!

Wasn't that like, grade 3 biology?

Yes, they are beautiful ducks, great personalities! I will try the carton thing, not sure how to judge the humidity in the room [​IMG] Well if all else fails I guess they can't look a gift egg in the mouth (shell...?)

7. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Go get a hydrometer from the wal-mart humidifer section, the holmes one is the best for the money. Umm... believe it or not we get people who want to hatch eggs, and dont have a rooster [​IMG]

8. horseemom

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    I 100% guarantee the Walmarts in Canada are not as good as the ones in the States!

I will look around though, thanks [​IMG]

9. horseemom

Mar 5, 2008
    Vancouver Island CANADA
    Whew! Big scare as I couldn't find "momma-duck" this am!! I took the kids to school and when I got back she was right there? I don't know where she was hiding!! ....Anyway....

How long in the incubator until Pekin Ducks hatch? Is it the same as chickens?

10. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    nope, i am not sure, they are not tha smae as chickens tho, i am not sure, i think like 24 days, but i dont know. Go look it up on google "hatching duck eggs" or something hopefull somebody fammilar with ducks can help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by