Storing eggs for incubation

kmueller07

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 21, 2013
Akron, Ohio
Hello! I started my quail hobby with hatching eggs that I had purchased. I have a great male to female ratio and would like to try hatching some of my own. I keep reading that humidity needs to be anywhere from 60-75% while they're being stored and have seen temperature suggestions anywhere from 30-60 degrees. I will need to collect for 5-6 days to get the amount I'd like to hatch.
How do you all store your eggs before incubation? Any suggestions on where to store or how to keep the humidity up with the temperature low enough would be great!
Thanks!!
jumpy.gif

I dont worry about the humidity really... just temp... dont want them warmer than room temp.... in the 60's I find is fine with the batch I just did.... I set up my incubator.... and turn on the egg rack rotater deal only.... and just put them in the egg racks as I collect them each day... that way they get rotated with no effort from me... then when I had enough I put the lid on and turn the incubator on.... got a 100% hatch first try...

I do mine at 62 and also turn at least twice a day has worked well for me usually up to ten days...Then you really see the hatch rate go down...Me personally anyway on quail..

The best way I have found to store them is a wine fridge. It lets you set the humidity and temperature. Some of the cheaper ones don't have humidity control so you just put a water pan in like it was an incubator. I try to keep my eggs around 55-60* and between 40-50% humidity. Humidity doesn't matter until it matters. If the humidity is too low it can damage the embryo or hamper its ability to hatch later, but unless you live in Tucson its probably not a big deal.

Edit: If you do this DO NOT buy a new wine fridge. Keep an eye on craigslist and you can usually get one under $100 whereas the untils are $350-1000 at the store

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom