Storing feed for small flocks

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
Hey small flock owners, how do you store your food? I’m ordering 35-40lb bags at a time and can’t figure out how to keep it fresh. I’m looking at dog food storage containers but have no idea how large I would need for chicken feed. Any ideas? Links would be great!

To truly keep it fresh you'd need to freeze it, and some folks do do that. I store my feed in metal trash cans in the garage, but our garage is insulated and we don't have high humidity so stuff keeps better here than in other climates/temperatures.

To truly keep it fresh you'd need to freeze it, and some folks do do that. I store my feed in metal trash cans in the garage, but our garage is insulated and we don't have high humidity so stuff keeps better here than in other climates/temperatures.
Yeah that definitely wouldn’t work for me. High temps and high humidity. My garage feels like a sauna right now

I have the bags in my home in the air conditioner but the bags don’t seal. So I take a small amount out at a time and then don’t really have a way to close the bag
If you want to continue inside storage, you can roll/fold down the top and use large spring clips to hold them shut. We have several bags in the garage with spring clips on them.

39529_zzz_500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom