Storing feed in a shed in winter

rodents chewed a hole in the lid of my heavy duty plastic garbage can where i stored feed.
In fact , a rodent chewed a hole in the hard plastic gas cap on my rototiller ..
Use a regular galvanized garbage can. Keep the bags closed until you are ready to use them..
I never had any type of feed freeze .
I kept the feed stored in with the chickens.
I have large coops.

Me too. I check mill dates on each bag, and use feed within six or eight weeks of milling. It's stored in the original bags, in metal garbage cans, out in the coop. I have them up on blocks, and have a couple of empty feed bags on the floor of each can, all to prevent moisture from affecting the cans.
Mary

No bears where you are? If I were storing in a shed, I would make sure it’s very sturdy, and the (also sturdy) galvanized metal garbage can is closed tightly. Spilled food also attracts rodents, and I imagine raccoons.

I once had a bear break into our screened porch in the middle of the night, dragging out a trash can (plastic) through a too-small screened window, and knocking over a large stack of dog-kennel panels on its way out. I thought someone was knocking over trees in the woods. In my sleepy head I could not make any sense of the incredibly loud noise. My second thought was fireworks in the yard.

So I’m a little paranoid about bears!

Back
Top Bottom