Storing feed

Is the piece of wood at the bottom for air flow?
No, it's too hold the center board in the center.
Another note, I can't lift a bag to slide it in, and they don't slide in well anyway, so I scoop most the new bag into the bag in the can then pour the rest.
ETA: another note, I do not keep can outside.

Last edited:
I use a combination of metal garbage cans and these 55 gallon drums. I've had metal cans leak in the bottom, so I put them on pallets or some other thing to lift them off the ground. I prefer the drums. They are thick walled, air and water tight.

Large metal galvanized trash cans with tight fitting lids stored on top of a pallet to keep air flowing limiting ground moisture, in shaded covered spot. The moisture is the the problem with storing food outside so I'm not sure how humid or wet it gets where you live. I live along the coast in the humid south and mine molds if I keep it outside. Walmart has these online-free shipping
Behrens High Grade Steel 1211 20 Gal Silver Galvanized Steel Trash Can with Lid
Home Depot has them too, with curbside pickup. I suggest setting them up on a pallet of some kind, for ventilation near the bottoms.

Home Depot has them too, with curbside pickup. I suggest setting them up on a pallet of some kind, for ventilation near the bottoms.

I have mine sitting up on a few bricks, mainly in case of intermittent flooding, but the can is still in good condition with no noticeable rusting after sitting on the ground in our climate for about 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom