Storing Fresh Eggs for up to 2 years...

Mother Earth News has an oldie but goodie of an article about a fairly well controlled experiment they conducted testing several different methods of long term egg storage (including the vaseline method). They did monthly "look, sniff, taste and texture" checks. The vaseline eggs lasted about 4 months. Here is the article if you are interested in the other methods they tried or more specifics about the results.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

Very cool! I might have to try that out!
big_smile.png

Well, I have mentioned before that I rub my washed (if they need it and they usually do) eggs with mineral oil, to help them stay fresh longer. It certainly does, too, but I do keep them in the fridge. I am thinking of testing my method by putting a dozen eggs so treated in the fridge and cracking open one each month and seeing if it appears to be fresh.

I actually think that the method referred to above might very well work, because what makes an egg go bad is bacteria through the porous shell. If the shell is rendered non-porous, I would think it might well stay ok. On the other hand, I would wonder if an egg so treated might not be able to be able to get infected with one of the bacteria that grow well in a non-oxygenated environment, like botulism for example. Not good. I would think I wouldn't want to take a chance, were I trying to survive, and just go without eggs until the hens started laying again.

I do not think eggs go bad nearly as readily as people think they do, or how could a hen collect a clutch over several weeks in the summer?

There is also some other stuff you can get to coat eggs that is supposed to give them a year-long shelf life, but would have to look it up.

I can say that the way I treat my eggs DOES keep them fresh in the fridge much longer than if you don't use it.

Those vaseline rubbed eggs could not possibly hatch because they would not get oxygen, and even if you rubbed or cleaned it off I expect the little pores would be all clogged.

Goodness knows I have not tried it, just my opinion.

Catherine

The oldest eggs I ever (tried) to use were duck eggs on the AK Peninsula when I cooked for a hunting camp there in fall. Those eggs were from the spring egg collection, (several months old) and apart from a fishey smell, looked okay. No, I didn't use them.....I couldn't make myself think they were okay.

i have been keeping mine in a basket on the counter...thanks to some of you folks. I really like having them out. They cook up better it seems too. I rather not wash any of the protective antibacterial coating off though. And usually there's no need to. My eggs are usually spotless, but I have had a carton of eggs given to me with footprints on them. lol.

I was wondering - instead of vasoline, how about crisco shortening? I mean for the extended shelf life experiment. We don't keep eggs very long around here. My mom however, lol. She found an 18 pack of eggs in the back of her extra fridge (in the garage) that are 8 months old. They seem fine (i think i will do the float test just for fun) but I have no need/desire to eat them. They have been scrambled for the girls here and there.

Last edited:
I wash my eggs and then put some butter in my hand and rub it on them they do fine but i still keep them in the frig.

Back
Top Bottom