Storing guts for dog food

FreedomFarmVT

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 27, 2016
I'm not sure if this would be the spot to post this, but we're talking meat birds, so I figured why not. We're processing our meatbirds, and we want to save the guts to feed our dogs. I've read comments on what people feed their dogs, but couldn't really find anything on storing. We're doing 2 dozen birds, and I know that's too much to feed 2 pups in 1 meal. So how do we store what we haven't fed them yet?
Thanks
Joe

I'm not sure if this would be the spot to post this, but we're talking meat birds, so I figured why not. We're processing our meatbirds, and we want to save the guts to feed our dogs. I've read comments on what people feed their dogs, but couldn't really find anything on storing. We're doing 2 dozen birds, and I know that's too much to feed 2 pups in 1 meal. So how do we store what we haven't fed them yet?
Thanks
Joe
We store livers and gizzards and necks in individual quart size ziplock bags (2 in each bag because we have two dogs) then we store those bags in a larger size ziplock in the freezer. I thaw one bag with hot water from the sink and add whatever it is- in with their other food. So each dog will end up getting one organ or neck and slightly less kibble per meal. It's a lot of plastic but I think it works as a good system.

Last edited:
We store livers and gizzards and necks in individual quart size ziplock bags (2 in each bag because we have two dogs) then we store those bags in a larger size ziplock in the freezer. I thaw one bag with hot water from the sink and add whatever it is- in with their other food. So one dog will end up getting one organ or neck and slightly less kibble per meal. It's a lot of plastic but I think it works as a good system.
Right on cool, thank you for the information iwltfum.

We're doing 2 dozen birds, and I know that's too much to feed 2 pups in 1 meal. So how do we store what we haven't fed them yet?
You could put them in a big dish in the refrigerator. (Fine for a few days, but probably inconvenient.)

You could put them in bags or containers in the freezer. You should probably divide them into the right size portions before freezing, although it is possible to cut frozen stuff with a saw.

If you do not want a lot of plastic bags in the freezer, you could freeze the guts in containers and then put all the frozen lumps into one big bag for storage. Depending on what size you want each frozen lump to be, you could use ice cube trays, muffin cups, yoghurt cups, sour cream containers, cut-off milk jugs, etc.

I have sometimes given frozen meat to a dog, who spent quite a while gnawing at it. Whether you need to thaw the guts for your dogs will depend on the dogs.

Right on
You could put them in a big dish in the refrigerator. (Fine for a few days, but probably inconvenient.)

You could put them in bags or containers in the freezer. You should probably divide them into the right size portions before freezing, although it is possible to cut frozen stuff with a saw.

If you do not want a lot of plastic bags in the freezer, you could freeze the guts in containers and then put all the frozen lumps into one big bag for storage. Depending on what size you want each frozen lump to be, you could use ice cube trays, muffin cups, yoghurt cups, sour cream containers, cut-off milk jugs, etc.

I have sometimes given frozen meat to a dog, who spent quite a while gnawing at it. Whether you need to thaw the guts for your dogs will depend on the dogs.
Right on cool. Frozen meat in the summer could make quite the treat for them. We make frozen treats for our layers.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom