Storing your eggs on the counter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PaintedMeadows, Oct 30, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    How long can you keep your eggs on the counter? What type of container? Does it have to be breathable like a basket or can it just be a bowl? They look so pretty all together. I put the first few eggs in the fridge. Once they have been in the fridge do they have to stay there or can I bring them out to the counter too?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

An egg ages more in 1 day on the counter than it does in 1 week in the fridge.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    We keep ours on the counter for up to two weeks but I have seen others keeping them for three or longer. You can just keep them in a bowl or basket.

4. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    The best rule of thumb is:

1 day at room temperature is the same as 1 week in the fridge.

Eggs should be kept for only about 45 days in the fridge.

If I'm going to eat them myself, I don't mind letting them set on the counter overnight (no container).

If they are my selling stock, I wash and refridgerate the day they were laid.

It's also important to remember that the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel if it is hard boiled. That's because the older it is, the more time air has had to penetrate the inner lining. Eggs that are very easy to peel, are older.

Michael

5. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Quote:Excellent info! Thanks!

6. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Super info! Thank you everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by