story about a weasel attack

77horses

◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊
15 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Maine
Hi. Has anyone ever lost there hens or rooster to a weasel? I have. This story I am about to tell you is true, and every time i tell it, I get a sad feeling. But it feels good to let it out. So I am asking you to please read it and bare with me. And I must warn you, this is a very sad story:
We had just come back from our dad's house. He owned a wonderful rooster who was a New Jersey Giant, and he was black with gorgeous green feathers, and two cute little adult Red Star hens. The rooster was named Seth and the hens were named Apricot and Peach. Well, a couple days after being back to our mom's house, things were normal. But one night my dad called and he told us that the hens were gone. And I didn't understand at first, and I asked if they were like gone like they ran away or something. But he said something got them and they were dead. I was shocked. I didn't believe it. I had never felt so frozen in my life. It felt like my heart had just ripped apart. Panic froze me and my mouth felt dry. My siblings were telling me that something ate the hens. I talked to my dad a little, then went up to the bathroom and cried for so long. I mostly cried for my little hen, Apricot. I was so heart-broken, but I still thought for the best. I prayed that she would be happy and I was happy that she was now in Heaven and at peace, and so was her sister, Peach. I was also thankful that Seth escaped whatever ate the hens. I also cried that night too. And on that morning when my dad found the hen's bodies on the chicken coop floor, he also found an eggs from each hen. That was the last egg they laid before their death. My dad says that it was like they left a little good bye present for us.
The next day, I still felt sad because I new i would never be able to hold my hen like I used to. She used to sit in my lap and I would give her cracked corn. She would love eating grass and leaves. I knew I would miss those times terribly.
But things went from horrible, to even more horrible. My dad called again and told us that Seth died. He was my youngest sister's rooster, and she was very upset. He was a good rooster too. He never was mean to the hens, and he was gentle with us. So i decided to look up what creature ate our hens. But it didn't exactly eat them. It decapitated the hen's heads and drank their blood. My dad suggested that it was a weasel or raccoon.
I looked up about predators that kill chickens, and I immediately found out that weasels drink the warm blood from chickens when it's breeding time. They also bite off their prey's head. So now that we found out what had attacked our loved hens, we had to find out a way to stop it.
My dad got out his rat trap, witch was big enough for the weasel. He wanted to catch and kill that weasel just as much as I did, not only for taking our hens away, but to also protect the two roosters who didn't get attacked.
Days passed, soon turning into weeks, and the trap remained empty. Our dog, Riley almost caught the weasel once, when he saw it in the shrubs. And we also discovered something; the weasel was living under the chicken coop! :mad: It had chewed a whole threw the thin wood and had managed into the coop in early morning, when, as I read, weasels hunt the most.
The last time we ever saw the weasel was when he suddenly disappeared in the shrubs. After that, he has never showed his ugly face since then. My dad said he would never get chickens again, but he did, and they are still growing strong. There are now more chipmunks being seen, which is a good sign, because weasels eat them too, and if chipmunks are every where, then that's a sign that the weasel is gone.
After the weasel had left, I went and made a grave stone for where the chickens were buried. On the wooden block I wrote, "Here lies Apricot, Peach, and Seth. Three wonderful chickens who will never be forgotten. R.I.P."
I will always remember those chickens. We had raised them when they were only a day old. Their grave stone still stands, along with all the other ones from previous pet deaths.
Apricot and Peach died on March 26th, 2008. Seth died on March 27th, 2008.
I often wonder if God had sent that weasel to kill the hens, not to cause pain, but to make things better. We now have four young pullet hens, two adult hens, and the two roosters who didn't get attacked by the weasel. I think God made it happen because by loosing the hens and the rooster, there would be room for more opportunities. I thank him for it, even though I still miss Apricot, Peach, and Seth a lot. I know they are happy in Heaven, and I will always love them. Thank you for listening to this true story.
smile.png

THE END!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
tell me what you think of the story. Is it sad? Is it touching? tell me what you feel after reading it.
smile.png

Quote:
I can say that after reading *this* I feel rather annoyed that it seems to have been mainly a creative writing exercise. If you're going to do that, SAY so up front please.

Or, if it *was* a true story, why are you polling us as to whether it was sufficiently sad or touching??

Hmph.

Pat

Quote:
I can say that after reading *this* I feel rather annoyed that it seems to have been mainly a creative writing exercise. If you're going to do that, SAY so up front please.

Or, if it *was* a true story, why are you polling us as to whether it was sufficiently sad or touching??

Hmph.

Pat

I completely agree with Pat. Hmph.
hmm.png

what do you mean?
hmm.png
all I wanted to do was share the story with everyone.
sad.png
also, I like to write stories too. what's wrong with that?
sad.png

and just to tell you, I am new here. and all i wanted to do was tell everyone my story.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

if i could change the title, i would! But I can't!
idunno.gif
I would change it to something else. But as I said already, i am a new person!!!!
hit.gif

please don't be so harsh.
barnie.gif
all i was doing was telling my story to people!!!!geez is that so bad?
hit.gif
i am not trying to be rude I am trying to explain

Don't be sad. I just found it awfully strange that you were concerned whether we thought it was sad or not. Of course it was sad! Sheesh!

Back
Top Bottom