Story of a boy and his chickens.

Elvis has shown the first signs of aggression the last two days. He is third on the pecking order and has typically been the nicest up until now. He has started walking next to me when I walk in a cocky manner looking at my shoes and making lots of noise and when I stop he makes an agressive peck at the top of my shoe. I taught him the shoe does not like to be pecked and when you do peck it you will end up 10 feet from where you just thought you were standing. So he didn't do that today. Instead I reached my hand out like normal when they were all in the coop to try and pet one as they all ran to me and the little booger bit me. Not a peck like food but like the shoe again. It startled me and he did a side wards step back and puffed up making again a lot of noise. I immediately grabbed him with the same hand and pinned him. I then grabbed him out of the coop, shut the door and pinned him to the ground outside. Lastly I scooped him up and walked him around the yard until he calmed down and released him to the coop where he walk shamely to the corner and ducked into the dog pile of chickens.

I sure hope he is just learning his place and testing his limits and that I taught him a lesson. His is my favorite so far and would hate to lose him. As sad as it would be and horrible it would make me feel, I would have no problem taking care of him in my hands real quick if a bird keeps intentionally inflicting pain on me. Poor Elvis please don't be bad.
He is just being a rooster. Don't expect him to be tame and loving like a hen... JMO

I wouldn't expect him to be tame. Non of my hens are loving. But he needs to do like the other two and just stay out of my way if he wants to give me agressive postures and agressive bites.
Hopefully he learned like he seemed to have with my shoe. He didn't give those one look today nor did he strut beside them while I walked around today. Maybe he knows now, size up or bite the shoe = pain, ditto with the hand =pain and embarrassment. Ultimately learning anything attached to something that large be left alone.

Elvis is a beautiful bird, hopefully he'll settle down once the pecking order is more established and he matures a little. You've built a really nice coop and it looks like your chickens are healthy and happy. Keep up the good work and keep taking pictures.
smile.png

My rooster, Dexter, was the same way. He got really aggressive at a young age. I didn't try to do anything to tame him, as I wasn't planning on keeping him, but I hear that the method you are trying works really well. I've heard of roosters that will leap into people's arms they are so excited to see them. None of mine are like that, but my lead rooster and I have a mutual understanding that I leave his ladies alone and he leaves me alone. I give him special treats and make him look good in front of them and he protects them really well, especially from hawks.

Matty looks to have a broken toe. No idea what from but noticed it a couple weeks ago. Anyway to splint this? Or is it better to let it hang loose. I feel like it will fall off or something if I don't intervene.

Matty looks to have a broken toe. No idea what from but noticed it a couple weeks ago. Anyway to splint this? Or is it better to let it hang loose. I feel like it will fall off or something if I don't intervene.

I've always left them alone in fear of doing more damage. Many people fix and splint the toe. As long as it still has circulation it should be fine either way (IMO), if not it will most likely need to be removed.

He seems to have no ill effects aside from the occasional moment he decides to use that foot as the dominant foot to climb. But I mean if I can splint it will it heal? If it's worth it I will do it. I mean he is 11 weeks old so it wouldn't be the biggest hassel to hold him down.

Back
Top Bottom