1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Story of a boy and his chickens.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Zackman23434, Jul 18, 2015.

1. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    He is just being a rooster. Don't expect him to be tame and loving like a hen... JMO

2. Zackman23434

Zackman23434 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    I wouldn't expect him to be tame. Non of my hens are loving. But he needs to do like the other two and just stay out of my way if he wants to give me agressive postures and agressive bites.
    Hopefully he learned like he seemed to have with my shoe. He didn't give those one look today nor did he strut beside them while I walked around today. Maybe he knows now, size up or bite the shoe = pain, ditto with the hand =pain and embarrassment. Ultimately learning anything attached to something that large be left alone.

3. jrjoplin

jrjoplin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2015
    Bridge Creek, OK
    Elvis is a beautiful bird, hopefully he'll settle down once the pecking order is more established and he matures a little. You've built a really nice coop and it looks like your chickens are healthy and happy. Keep up the good work and keep taking pictures. [​IMG]

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    My rooster, Dexter, was the same way. He got really aggressive at a young age. I didn't try to do anything to tame him, as I wasn't planning on keeping him, but I hear that the method you are trying works really well. I've heard of roosters that will leap into people's arms they are so excited to see them. None of mine are like that, but my lead rooster and I have a mutual understanding that I leave his ladies alone and he leaves me alone. I give him special treats and make him look good in front of them and he protects them really well, especially from hawks.

5. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    Skipped 10 week updates because changes slow down. On too 11 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    Matty looks to have a broken toe. No idea what from but noticed it a couple weeks ago. Anyway to splint this? Or is it better to let it hang loose. I feel like it will fall off or something if I don't intervene.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jrjoplin

jrjoplin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2015
    Bridge Creek, OK

I've always left them alone in fear of doing more damage. Many people fix and splint the toe. As long as it still has circulation it should be fine either way (IMO), if not it will most likely need to be removed.

9. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    It will eventually fall off on its own. I had a bantam serama cochin mix that had no toes left after about 6 years .. Her name was Cotton. She got along fine.

10. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    He seems to have no ill effects aside from the occasional moment he decides to use that foot as the dominant foot to climb. But I mean if I can splint it will it heal? If it's worth it I will do it. I mean he is 11 weeks old so it wouldn't be the biggest hassel to hold him down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by