Story of a boy and his chickens.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Zackman23434, Jul 18, 2015.

1. katyevans

katyevans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    Va beach
    What an awesome adventure you are on! Love the pics and your coop looks great!!

2. Zackman23434

Zackman23434 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    Up close pictures of Matty Ice the deleware cockerel. ( cell phone pictures sorry about the quality)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    And lasty a few pictures of the changes of a couple of the cockerels from 8 weeks to 9 weeks. It was actually probably one of the least drastic change weeks for them. Mostly I noticed the face becoming more and more red. Elvis also shows feather change more easily. I eventually plan on showing the cockerels from 6 weeks on to show people the changes they go through in appearance week to week.

8 Weeks
    [​IMG]

9 weeks
    [​IMG]

8 weeks
    [​IMG]

9 weeks
    [​IMG]

5. Very cool! :thumbsup It looks like your cockerels are going to become very handsome roosters! :cd

6. capecodpeeps

capecodpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    My RIR is from McMurry as well and she is the nicest chick!! Great job with your flock [​IMG]

7. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks everyone. Working hard on coop aesthetics for the next few days.

8. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    Some more painting getting done. Any ideas on incorporating white into the run? I'm think just white on the door itself but if I can find a way to do both that would not look tacky I would do it. I was thinking, have all vertical post and rails white plus the door and then all horizontal rails green or vice versa but i just can't picture it and again I want it too look nice.

[​IMG]

Couple of the boys chilling out a couple weeks ago.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. katyevans

katyevans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    Va beach

My chickens don't want anything to do with the color white. Every time I put treats or veggies in a white bowl they ignore it but yellow, well now your talking. I doubt yours will care about the paint color, your post made me think of that.

Your coop looks great!!

10. Zackman23434

Jul 17, 2015
    Elvis has shown the first signs of aggression the last two days. He is third on the pecking order and has typically been the nicest up until now. He has started walking next to me when I walk in a cocky manner looking at my shoes and making lots of noise and when I stop he makes an agressive peck at the top of my shoe. I taught him the shoe does not like to be pecked and when you do peck it you will end up 10 feet from where you just thought you were standing. So he didn't do that today. Instead I reached my hand out like normal when they were all in the coop to try and pet one as they all ran to me and the little booger bit me. Not a peck like food but like the shoe again. It startled me and he did a side wards step back and puffed up making again a lot of noise. I immediately grabbed him with the same hand and pinned him. I then grabbed him out of the coop, shut the door and pinned him to the ground outside. Lastly I scooped him up and walked him around the yard until he calmed down and released him to the coop where he walk shamely to the corner and ducked into the dog pile of chickens.

I sure hope he is just learning his place and testing his limits and that I taught him a lesson. His is my favorite so far and would hate to lose him. As sad as it would be and horrible it would make me feel, I would have no problem taking care of him in my hands real quick if a bird keeps intentionally inflicting pain on me. Poor Elvis please don't be bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by