Straight razor for dispatching meat birds?

I use a good sharp filleting knife.

I was under the impression that you only need to make one cut, though, just beneath and slightly behind the chicken's left ear. I thought that's where its jugular is.

Should I be cutting on both sides?

I've been reading and have yet to do the deed. I'm finally, after many hair-brained suburban raised ideas (yeah, I started the guillotine thread
lol.png
) between the hatchet and slicing the neck, so I'm very interested in this thread! So I'm also curious. Some slice one side, and others slice both. Isn't one side enough?

Quote:
Actually chopping the head of is probably the quickest, but I can see where it might be prone to accidents. If you go that route put a couple nails in a board to secure the head so you don't lose fingers. And a sharp knife to the neck can also result in severe cuts. However it is done just think of safety too.

Quote:
Depending on how well it gets flowing, sometimes they seem to take a while to die. They can thrash about for a while. Hard to say if the chicken minds or not and at what point of blood loss they are unconscious. Also if your in a hurry, no doubt, removing the head is fastest, but I think they are easier to pluck if they are bleed.

Jamie

I have never processed birds before but I am seriously considering it this fall. You guys that use the stump and hatchet method...How do you keep the bird still? Is it a two person job?

Edited for dumb grammar!

Last edited:
Quote:
I hold the body....My husband stretches the neck out without hurting them....then...one swoop.

They are remarkably calm during that stage...

It's after that you need to have a good grip on the body and wings to put them in a cone...or for the huge meaties a bucket...

I use to hold onto them until my meaties become so big...The Roo's have this extra energy...I'm guessing it has something to do with there testosterone. So, it's a good idea to put them in something.

I continue to hold onto the for about 30 seconds or more....then we tie there feet and hang them...

Hope this helps...

The birds seem to bleed out more completely when just their throats are slit, something about the heart still beating that makes them empty out better. I find it easier & neater to do it this way: I zip-tie their legs together, wrap a length of duct-tape once or twice around their bodies to hold their wings in place and hang them upside down from hooks on a metal frame, positioned over a lined garbage can. Then I grab their heads, pull to straighten their necks, and slice the veins on each side of the throat. I try to get a good deep cut that makes the blood come out in a stream, I do both sides so they will empty faster & more completely. I usually continue to hold their heads down for a minute or two until they finish thrashing, so they don't spatter blood all over the place, keeping them dripping into the garbage can. (I use a black liner so it doesn't look so ghoulish) By then they're mostly bled out, but I leave them hanging for several minutes more.

This way they're already tied & hanging, I don't have to chase them around the yard, they're not thrashing on the ground, they don't have to be stuffed into a cone, they're not leaving blood all over the grass. They're also easier to grab & dunk in the scalding water and re-hung to pluck. I cut off the heads & remove the tape before dunking.

I, too, find this a very useful thread, particularly where it comes to choice of utensils.

I personally prefer decapitation, as that is obviously quick, although haven't done that since a wee little child. I'm curious if anyone has ever tried that with a large, sharp knife and the chicken in a cone. If I held the head, then did a quick, hard slice all the way across, is it possible to decapitate the bird that way?

And has anyone ever tried it?

Quote:
Yes.

"once I have a knife sharpened properly, it takes about as much effort to cut a head clean off as it does to cut through a carrot"

Although, I think they pick much easier if you let them bleed as opposed to taking the head clean off.

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom