Straight run? Is it really?

Saltysteele

Songster
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
MI
you ever get the feeling "straight runs" are not really straight runs at all, but rather those chicks that they could not positively identify as pullets?

out of 6 easter eggers (which don't get me started on not getting ameracaunas, as i thought i was buying)(I didn't know, this is the first time i've bought outside the brown egg, RIR, BR breeds) that were "straight run," i've got 1 hen. out of 6 black australorps, i've got 2 hens.

sexing chickens appears to not be an exact science (my brother bought 5 pullets, and there was a rooster, or 83% accuracy), so it's feeling to me like they just take those they are not positive that are pullets, and throw them in the "straight run" bin

I think straight run they just pull them out of the container and put them in the box. They are exactly that SR. You might get 50/50 or close to all of one sex.
It is just the roll of the dice.

Some people are ethical. Some are not. Some hatcheries are ethical. ........

I once got 7 pullets out of 6 straight run from Cackle Hatchery. Even the packing peanut was a pullet. Somewhere, someone ordered six straight run from Cackle and got all roosters. They are now convinced Cackle is unethical.

I've had hatches where I got 10 pullets and 5 roosters. Can't get much more straight run that a hatch. My latest incubator hatch was 9 roosters and 5 pullets. Odds are just odds. Most of us don't get enough different orders from specific hatcheries to really know how they handle straight run anyway.

Some people seem to get a lot of roosters from straight run bins at the feed store. Some people are better at picking out pullets from straigh run bins, looking at posture for example. That leaves more roosters behind for the next person to choose from. Some of these people think the feed store or hatchery people are unethical.

I'm not saying that all the hatcheries always do it right. But I'll not lump all the hatcheries in with one that might do it wrong.

Quote:
I dont see the point of straight run if they check them?? Unless their too small to know. In catologs Ive looked at the bantams are straight run.

I see what Salty is saying, but if that isnt true I dont see why if they check some, why not check them all and make them all cost more?

Because then the Hatchery would be disposing of thousands of Roos. Plus the cost of paying people to sex them and the extra day of feed etc etc.

It all boils down to the bottom line just like any other business.

Quote:
Exactly.
We have to consider the mass scale of what they are hatching. Many of these places literally hatch tens of thousands of chicks every day.
Sexing is done by a skilled pro under a magnifying glass at that. So for him to go threw thousands of chicks every day is just impossible.
The sexing is done more as a service to the customer, not a mandatory requirement.
Also the extra sexed males are what you get on small orders called packing peanuts. That's one way of disposing of them. The other is grinding them up for feed. They do not put them back into the mix and sell them as straight runs. At least most dont. I'm sure like has been mentioned, there are a few low end, low reputation hatcheries that do this.
But for the most part, yes when they call it straight run, they just grab a handful straight from the incubator and throw them in your box at a cheaper price than the sexed chicks.

In the long run, it's a gamble and you get what you pay for. If you dont care, straight run is the way to go. If you want 5 hens and 2 roos, dont order 7 chicks and be mad when they dont sex out the way you wanted. Find a sight that offers sexed chicks and order just that 5 pullets and 2 roosters.

I've bought 25 "straight run" and they were all males. Bad luck? That's really bad for even bad luck. I simply won't buy from that hatchery again.

I bought 20 straight run leftover bargain ducklings from Ideal this year. Because they were the leftovers, I expected to get all, or mostly, males. Nope, lots of quackers in that bunch, so they really are sending out straight run when they say straight run.

I bought 4/4 females that were straight run. I wasn't expecting them all to be girls. I'm super ecstatic though! More eggs for meeeeee!
ya.gif

I don't know if there is anything unethical going on, but I do find it suspicious that there have been a myriad of threads about getting all cockerals in sexed EEs. Especially when earlier in the year there were a lot of threads about not being able to find EEs.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom