Straight run percentages in general??

Quote:
This is true if your sample is large enough but don't expect every hatch or every order to work out that way.
Here's a story: many years ago I wanted to start raising Rhode Island Red Bantams. There was this old boy who lived about 4 hours away from me who had some of the best. He didn't raise many and wouldn't sell me any birds. After several phone calls I finally talked him into selling me some eggs. I went and picked up 3 dozen. They hatched really well-33 of the 36 hatched. 29 cockerels and 4 pullets!
So as a general rule don't set 10 eggs because you want 5 pullets.
big_smile.png

Quote:
This is true if your sample is large enough but don't expect every hatch or every order to work out that way.
Here's a story: many years ago I wanted to start raising Rhode Island Red Bantams. There was this old boy who lived about 4 hours away from me who had some of the best. He didn't raise many and wouldn't sell me any birds. After several phone calls I finally talked him into selling me some eggs. I went and picked up 3 dozen. They hatched really well-33 of the 36 hatched. 29 cockerels and 4 pullets!
So as a general rule don't set 10 eggs because you want 5 pullets.
big_smile.png

Yeah, that's pretty bad... I have one hen who from her eggs.. since she was the only girl laying at that time, throw 7 boys out of 8 eggs!! All the eggs hatched too so it wasn't like the girls died in the shell or anything either!

It is all luck of the draw. My dad used to raise Malays and it was always about getting nice show roosters. And somehow, we would always get mostly hens. And yet the people that want laying hens, get mostly roosters.

Let me correct my statement. I went to the feed store today, and they had chicks, and she said IF she's lucky, it would be 50/50. Usually its more males

If I wanted 10 mature hens for later on. I would order 15 female chicks. Death loss as chicks, culls, and so on will amount to 1/3 then U will have a nice set of mature hens. Roosters well its always good to have an extra just in case something happens.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom