Straight run question

novicepeeps

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 9, 2013
Ok so I ordered a straight run of chicks. 5 Easter egged and 5 assorted brown layers. This may be a silly question but as they grow how will I tell which is a roo and which is a hen. Based on looks? Or crow. And how soon will I be able to tell? May seem like a silly question but wasn't covered in the books I'm reading. Additionally how old should they be before they can be harvested for the frying pan for the Roos?

Generally the roo's will be larger as the first sign but some experts may be able to give you opinions if you post pictures as they grow. I can usually tell before they begin to honk/crow by their mere size. I suppose you can cull at that point. Not sure why you ordered straight run if you only want the hens.

Alot of times you can tell by 2 months old, the roos will have larger, red combs, and are also bigger than the hens. My hens combs did not get nearly as big, and they did not have sny red unril they were older.This worked for me when I hatched out some bantams this spring :) hope this helps! :)

Generally the roo's will be larger as the first sign but some experts may be able to give you opinions if you post pictures as they grow.   I can usually tell before they begin to honk/crow by their mere size.   I suppose you can cull at that point.   Not sure why you ordered straight run if you only want the hens.

I want to raise for eggs and meat. My other thing was minimums to order I want to keep 6-8 laying hens and have some meat birds on the side I also want a variety of types so I figured if I go a straight run of 10 I might get the number of laying hens I'm looking for. And also get some meat. Fingers crossed my idea works. I want my kids to know the reality of where food comes from. I'll definitley post pics once the come in end of September.

Theres an old farmers trick that if you hold them by the scruff the roosters will struggle and the hens will hang. It worked last time I tried it but we only had 4 chicks. Theres a way you can tell by the feathers in their first few days. I have to find the video I watched about it. Both ways worked for me.

That method really works!

50% of the time lol. Seriously, if it were that easy, hatcheries would have a 100% sexing rate, and vent sexers would be out a job.

Some roosters are obvious by 4 weeks, some take up to 2 months or so. You should be able to tell for sure by then.

Dual purpose roosters are usually processed around 18-22 weeks. That's the age where you start losing gain from your feed and more just goes to maintenance. They're still fairly tender, but still won't be soft and mushy like a store bought bird.

Back
Top Bottom