Straining Chicken

McNearEggs

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
Hi All!
We are new here and we have a problem.
This afternoon one of our chickens had segregated herself in the coop and hunched down on the floor. She was straining and not producing any feces or egg. I checked to see if she was egg bound and I was able to completely insert my index finger and not feel any egg. She also was dirty on the back end. I am not sure what I should do next. We have put her in a new coop for the night since the other birds were pecking at her back end as soon as they were near her. I am not sure if she is eating or drinking, she did not seem interested in the food or water. She just wanted to stay low and strain.
Thank you for any advice!

Welcome to BYC. How old is she? I'm not quite sure how to help you with her problem. If she is young, has been exposed to a new chicken, or new soil, she could have coccidiosis, which is treated with Corid (amprollium.) She also could have an egg stuck higher up than you could feel, or possibly something stuck in her digestive tract. I would give her a Tums or calcium tablet just in case it is egg binding, and go ahead and soak her in a warm bath with soap for 30 minutes to help pass an egg, but also to clean off the soiled feathers since maggots can get inside the vent from flies laying eggs on the dirty feathers. That condition is called fly strike, and can be deadly. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, puffing up or hunching, diarrhea with or without blood, poor appetite. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp liquid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) per gallon on water for 5 days.

Thank you for the info. She is about 15 months old and has been with all the same birds penned in our backyard for over a year now. We will give her some calcium and try soaking her in the morning (it is 9:40pm here). We will definitely clean off the feathers as well.

Corid will not harm her if you want to try treating for coccidiosis as well. Cocci causes cramping and abdominal pain, but the medicated water must be drank or dropper fed if she won't drink. Keep her penned tonight so that you can see her droppings if any. Worming would be something I would also do, but when this emergency is over.

Welcome to BYC. How old is she? I'm not quite sure how to help you with her problem. If she is young, has been exposed to a new chicken, or new soil, she could have coccidiosis, which is treated with Corid (amprollium.) She also could have an egg stuck higher up than you could feel, or possibly something stuck in her digestive tract. I would give her a Tums or calcium tablet just in case it is egg binding, and go ahead and soak her in a warm bath with soap for 30 minutes to help pass an egg, but also to clean off the soiled feathers since maggots can get inside the vent from flies laying eggs on the dirty feathers. That condition is called fly strike, and can be deadly. Symptoms of coccidiosis are lethargy, puffing up or hunching, diarrhea with or without blood, poor appetite. Dosage of Corid is 2 tsp liquid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) per gallon on water for 5 days.
Hi,
We're having a similar problem with one of our 1 1/2 year old Barred Rocks, and someone mentioned in another thread on here using Dulcolax. Is it ok to give them a laxative? I saw you mentioned Tums, so I figured I'd ask. From what you posted it sounds like she has Coccidiosis. She puffs up, and hunches, but she hasn't laid an egg in a few days as far as I know. She did eat some last night after I moved her, and I haven't seen any blood in her stool, but she only had one "good" poop last night, and the rest have been small and greenish. Do they not lay eggs with Coccidiosis?
Thanks
Joe

Back
Top Bottom