STRANGE ANIMALS AS PETS -- ANYONE HAVE ANY?

Quote:
Where do you live?! I'd love to hear how you managed to find a stray elephant! What a great story
smile.png

I keep coming back to this post and reading all the strange pet stories. It's amazing what animals we have or have had as pets.

Please post pictures if you can. We'd all love to see them.

Thanks again for sharing your stories.

Last edited:
Hmmm, strange pets... Well.... We had some chickens.... but they got out and the dog ate them SO now we have:
1 black lab/border collie dog
1 border collie/great pyranease dog
2 Cockapoo dogs (black male and buff female)
5 horses - bay Appaloosa mare, bay Mustang mare, sorrel Quarter Horse mare, palomino Appaloosa gelding, paint pony mare
tons of barn cats... where there is a barn... there WILL be cats!!

Oh, and I also have 5 Mini Rex rabbits (babies for sale now!!)

Soooo yeah... none of my pets are TOO wierd but some people think they are strange enough!!

Lauren

Hi, I have a Patagonian Cavy. they are a member of the rodent family , cousin to the guinea pig but look nothing like them. they look more like a small deer. They are fun and quite unique. they can run or hop like a kangaroo and hop along on all fours. My friend has two females and my male is with them now so we hope to raise more.

TJ

That is so cool!! I have seen cavys many times at nature parks and have been fascinated by them. How are they as a pet? Friendly and cuddly, or a pet you just look at? Do they bite? What do they eat and do they need a big yard to roam?

I LOVE your goose and zebra finch photos. They are adorable!

I raised a zebra finch too. I started handfeeding him when he was a couple of days old. He was thrown out of the nestbox. He turned into one of the sweetest birds I ever owned. It's a shame zebra finches don't have a really long life span. He died a couple years ago at around five years of age. I still miss him terribly.

I named him Samson because he was so tiny and yet so fearless. Everybody loved him.

Please post pictures. We all love looking at them.

nothing out of the ordinary now but we did raise baby possums. Opie and virginia LOL. they lived in our spare bathroom till they were big enough to go free. C

My cavy (Simon) is fun but not the pet I expected. He is halter trained and stands on his hind legs for a treat. I can take him for a walk and he leads well if the trail is familiar. But sometimes he doesn't want to go back home and I have to carry him. He can be quite a handfull and is very spirited. Maybe not the ideal pet for someone with back problems. lol
He is very sweet and squeaks and grunts like a guinea pig, (very vocal) . He does not bite but likes to suck my finger. He didn't want to be weaned and I bottle fed him for four months. He would probably still take one if I would give it to him.
Cavies are native to the grasslands of South America and he loves to graze in the field near my home. The ideal situation would be to have a good sized corral for them to romp, and graze in. I would love to turn him loose and just let him run free, but they are very easily startled and very fast. If something frightened him he would be in the next county before I catch up with him. He cost 150.00 so I keep him close. I would like to have a corral but they need a 6 ft. fence since they can jump so high. Chain link would be preferrable and very expensive.
He is funny and lively but I wish he were a little calmer. He romps and kicks up his heels like a small mule. I suspect he has just become sexually mature and I hope he calms down a bit or I may have to swap him for a female.

TJ

all of your stories are very interesting! stray elephant?!?! ive never heard of that:p i dont have anything out of the ordinary..1 Bichon Frise(dog breed) 3 dwarf hamsters,1 parakeet, and 11 soon coming chicks

Back
Top Bottom