STRANGE ANIMALS AS PETS -- ANYONE HAVE ANY?

tysonandperdue

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
New Jersey
Attached is a photo of one of my pet squirrels.....Her name is Wrangler. Anybody else have any pets out of the ordinary? I get such fun out of taking photos of my squirrels and adding captions to the photos.

areyoutalkintome3.jpg

Well...I don't have a pic and don't know how strange it was....but .... last year my youngest son found a snapping turtle hatchling in the creek!! He wanted to keep it of course.....so we did! We all thought it was kewl!! I bought him a LARGE brandy snifter and put him right on the kitchen table. It was so neat! We had one of those fish stumps and some neat gravel. He got so used to us he's come up to see us when we approached. We finally thought it terribly unfair to keep him confined and so eventually when he was bigger we released him by the neighbors pond!! It was fun for many months though!!

I have raised squirrels too, tysonandperdue.
smile.png

We let them go in our backyard after they were big enough to fend for themselves, though.

We still feed them and one will still come up and take nuts from may hand. The others went feral quickly.

It was fun having the babies around. I got several of mine so young I had to bottle feed them every two hours!

I miss the little fuzzies a lot. They used to hang out in my pockets.
smile.png

I raised a starling once too. I KNOW I KNOW...starlings are the most hated bird ever, but a defensless baby anything invokes that mother instinct in me.
roll.png

I've also raised a baby coon once. Most real farmers would probably think I'm nuts...LOL.

Squirrels are one of the cutest animals to hand raise. I lost count of how many I raised and released....must be 60 or more.

I got Wrangler as a day old --- her umbilical cord was still attached. She turned out to be my most spoiled little brat --- but oh how I love her. She is a very photogenic squirrel and I am constantly taking photos of her. She's a little show off!

I love starlings and good for you to save its life. I would have done the same. My brother in law raised a coon too. He loved it but decided to release it back to the wild.

The turtle was a very cute story. I would have been afraid to have a snapping turtle on my table but I must say they would be a pretty cool pet for a little boy as long as his fingers don't get in the way of their mouth.

I love hearing all these stories. I'll bet almost everybody has one to tell.

I've had several octopus, and my wife and I used to breed bearded dragons. They take up little space, are easy to care for, and sell quite well. I also had a 75 gallon reef tank with all kinds of strange stuff. Our pigmy hedgehog died a few months ago after living for seven years (that's like a 125 years old!)

Has anyone ever heard of scruffs? I don't know the "real" name of them, but they're these little blue scruffy looking birds. I had three as a little girl. I really loved them. We rescued them out of a tree after a cat got the mama.

I have a 60 pound sulcata tortoise who is only 10 years old and is going to just keep growing! I have had her since she was just a hatchling and fit in the palm of my hand. She will live over a hundred years. Living in Minnesota she has to be kept inside half of the year. She has her own bedroom... redone to better fit her needs. I can still lift her, but it won't be long before I will have to figure out some kind of lift or something.

Back
Top Bottom