Strange behavior?

Tasha1981

Songster
Jul 9, 2015
Gonzales Louisiana
This afternoon I was enjoying a cup of coffee, watching my chickens devour their head of cabbage. After eating 3/4 of it they got their bellies full and started wandering around the run.

A few were lying around, Johnny Mack was doing his little dance and mating with a few of the girls. It was pleasant. Then I noticed one girl with her tail curled down while she was standing. It was exactly like the tail kind of balls up when they are pecking on the ground. But she was standing straight up. A few minutes later she went lie down by the fence, tail still in a ball. She lifted and strained a few times. After about 10 minutes or so, she went back to the cabbage, tail still in ball on walk and pecking cabbage. After she got her fill she went run in the coop.

5 or so minutes later she came out and started laying by the fence again. Tail still in a curl. She stood up and strained, nothing. A few minutes later she stood up and stained again. This time something came out. I thought it was my very first egg. But it was only a turd. So she moved by a small tree in the run and lied down again. Every few minutes she would strain but her tail was still in that weird ball when she went to the coop for the night. Should I be concerned, or is she trying to figure out what's happening to her with the first egg coming? She will be 19 weeks old tomorrow.

One of my pullets did this for 36 hours or so before she laid her first egg. It was a soft shelled egg, which I've read can be a little harder to lay. The tail down really threw me off, but after the egg came she was fine again!

It could be she is getting ready for her first egg?
Sounds like my one pullet this summer. She seemed constipated and after two hours of straining and acting strange she had a very long weird poop!
After that she was fine!
I was told a little margarine on a small hand full of grain will help to get the plumbing working again?
I haven't tried that yet.

Back
Top Bottom