Strange behavior

HenOnAJuneBug

Crowing
May 20, 2015
One of my hens was deathly sick about a weak ago. I carried her up to the house and held her in my arms, expecting her to pass away at any time. Her eyes were closed, she was barely breathing. Then she pooped runny stuff on me, so I carried her out onto the porch, when I suddenly heard a plop. She had layed an egg. She then perked up a bit and was able to walk around.

Since then she has gotten a lot better - almost back to normal. For a couple of days she was camped out in a nest box I have on the porch. I figured she was broody. A couple of days ago she moved to a spot right in front of my front door. Now she spends all day there. I carry her down to the coop at night, and she comes up to the house in the morning. All day, parked in front of the front door. I feed her really well, and her poops look really good (but not so great on my porch).

I have no idea what is going on.

One of my hens was deathly sick about a weak ago. I carried her up to the house and held her in my arms, expecting her to pass away at any time. Her eyes were closed, she was barely breathing. Then she pooped runny stuff on me, so I carried her out onto the porch, when I suddenly heard a plop. She had layed an egg. She then perked up a bit and was able to walk around.

Since then she has gotten a lot better - almost back to normal. For a couple of days she was camped out in a nest box I have on the porch. I figured she was broody. A couple of days ago she moved to a spot right in front of my front door. Now she spends all day there. I carry her down to the coop at night, and she comes up to the house in the morning. All day, parked in front of the front door. I feed her really well, and her poops look really good (but not so great on my porch).

I have no idea what is going on.
Sounds like she was eggbound and she is very greatful to you.

I thought the same, and actually probed the day before, but found nothing. Maybe holding her in my lap caressing her and praying for her made her relax and drop the egg.

I think she has some kind of congenital problem because last year I thought she was internal laying. I thought she was a goner then, too, because her rear end was really puffy and bloated, and she waddled when she walked, and some people said there is no hope when that happens. But fall came and she got over that and has been running with the girls until this last episode.

So do chickens do a bonding thing like that where she wants to be near me?

I thought the same, and actually probed the day before, but found nothing. Maybe holding her in my lap caressing her and praying for her made her relax and drop the egg.

I think she has some kind of congenital problem because last year I thought she was internal laying. I thought she was a goner then, too, because her rear end was really puffy and bloated, and she waddled when she walked, and some people said there is no hope when that happens. But fall came and she got over that and has been running with the girls until this last episode.

So do chickens do a bonding thing like that where she wants to be near me?
Yup. Seems the extra care that is given to them makes them feel like they owe you.
Same thing happens if you rescue a chicken.

Now that I think about it, I probed her before this happened. I wonder if maybe she's keeping close in case it happens again?

Is there a way to break her of this? Not that I don't mind an adoring pet, but the porch gets kind of messy, and I'd really like to see her out getting exercise. I haven't minded her being on the porch because it's allowed me to really pamper her with nutritious food so she can heal from whatever ails her.

Well she came up on the porch this morning for a few hours, and then left. So it looks like she's getting back to a more normal routine. I've been having to put her up on the roost at night, but last night she jumped up on the roost herself; and this morning she had already jumped down when I opened the coop. So things appear to be improving.

Back
Top Bottom