strange behavior

If you need to tube feed him get some Kaytee Baby Bird Food from the pet store. It is a complete feed that can be made very thin so it will flow through a French #18 to #24 catheter and a 60ml irrigation syringe. Another good option is canned cat food, it can be mixed to a thin solution that will also go through the catheter.
Ok, thank you. I hate tube feeding but I have done it and have used and am familiar with the baby bird formula. He's still eating, but he just can't see well, depth perception is off, and he basically feels awful, so I think that is why he didn't eat as well this evening. The vet reached out to us again and offered to drain the eye again, and if necessary give him some meds for relief of pain, while we wait for the results to come back. I hate to keep sending him down there but at least he will be in a quiet warm room for most of the day.

Just got the results back from the lab! It is NOT cancer! He has a bacterial infection; all three samples they took from different areas tested with the same kind of bacteria, and there were no cancer cells in evidence. They think they can resolve it with antibiotics and no surgery! I know better than to get too excited just yet, but it certainly is good news! He was already a lot better today and he has not been on antibiotics or any meds. The swelling was down and and it seemed that he was able to see out of his bad eye. Still eating well.

The antibiotic he is on is called SMZ/ TMP. It's a mixture of Bactrim & trimethoprim. It's a sulfa drug. The mass in his throat is an abscess. It contains a cottage cheesey type substance, which indicates that it is an abscess and not a tumor. They think that the bacteria in the abscess is also the bacteria that is causing the canker stuff in his mouth. In his lab resuls, "bacterial sepsis" is marked several times. They did an x ray of his skull (again for free, teaching some students) which showed nothing abnormal. They poked a hole in the abscess but may have to lance it if the antibiotic doesn't work like we're hoping it will. They think the chances of him having Lymphoma or any type of cancer is less than 1 per cent. His weight is still basically the same, he may have gained an ounce. He is still hanging in there, eating and drinking well, even when he can't see well he keeps trying until he finds his food, we help him but he'd just as soon find it himself, lol.

Great thread Molly! I am following along here. :pop

I hope Sapphire makes a full recovery!! :hugs
Thank you, so do I! i am most concerned about his vision. He has an awful time seeing things close up, although he seems to do better at distance, it's hard to say how much of THAT is just compensation from his other senses.

Back
Top Bottom