Strange Behavior

So I'm guessing the proper wording would be chicks until they are laying or gone threw their first molt. Sorry about that. They use the roost during the day, but not clear if they actually use it at night. My husband made them a little one to start with, but they got too big to use it. Again, my original question is.....
Why do they all huddle in the corner the way they do?
Heat conservation is likely first concern. Under natural conditions (as jungle fowl) some protection from some predators may also be realized. Your chickens likely consider themselves jungle fowl.

I almost thought we had a EUREKA! moment tonight. As it was getting dark outside, all 7 birds kept going into the coop and then one by one out of the coop. So I was hoping that by the time it got dark, they'd all be inside. It's supposed to be much cooler tonight, so I turned on the heat lamp about an hour or so before dark, so there was light. I went out around 8:15 or so and two of them were in the coop and the other 5 were huddled in that same low-lying area in the run by the door. So I rounded them up again and put the rest of them in the coop and so far, they're staying in. Whew! Of course, with two of the seven being in there, that IS progress! I love this site and all of those here who are so helpful. Thanks! I'll update when they all finally figure it out.

They will figure it out..... just might take a little time and patience. As for my chicks huddling in the corner the way they do, I'm just going to chalk it up to "normal" chicken behaviour because they are all in the coop when I lock it up. I figure, they are young and there are no roosters in the flock (by choice).

EUREKA!!! It happened! They finally made it into the coop for the night tonight.
yippiechickie.gif
I had to leave way before dusk for an appointment and wouldn't get back until after 9 PM. I got back and went to check on the chicks, figuring I'd find them huddled in the corner, crying... especially since it's supposed to get down to 39 tonight. For that reason, I had the heat lamp on again. Imagine my surprise when I went out and there all seven of them were...in the coop! I think I will leave the lamp off tomorrow night as they seem to be sleeping in a corner away from the lamp and in the doorway of the coop...that may not last as the temps drop even further overnight...but there's a warming trend coming. Anyway, all that to say, THEY WENT IN THE COOP ON THEIR OWN!!!! Yay!
wee.gif

It's the little things.

YaY!! Glad they made it in on their own. After reading your post I do have a question. Do you close their pop door at night? This will keep them safe from predators and will also teach them to stay in at night.

JanetS, no, the coop doesn't have a door. It is enclosed in a run...you can see the photo at the beginning of this thread. Once they're in the coop and it's dark outside, they stay inside. The first few days (two weeks ago), we did put a make-shift door on it to keep them in at night, but that lasted only a couple of nights and they pretty much stay inside once it's totally dark.

Congrats Musicgal!!! Mine have always gone in when it gets dark so I got lucky there. I have an enclosed coop/run but I always get worried about something getting in the fence after them. My husband installed a pop door for our chicks.

One last post on this and I'll let it go. Last night, I had choir practice and so was gone from 6 PM to after 9 PM. We were high in the upper 80's yesterday and lows last night were to be mid-70's so I decided to unplug the heat lamp. This meant absolutely NO light once it got dark. I figured if they didn't make it into the coop, they would survive outside if they so chose. Of course, the first thing I did when I got home was to go out and see where they were. Using a flashlight (it's REALLY dark here with no ambient city lights), I viewed into the pen and saw no chickens. I kind of shined the light in the doorway of the coop and sure enough, there they all were. So, we have now fully crossed this bridge. They will be 8 weeks old next week and at this point seem to be feathered out enough to survive most anything weather-wise. Thanks, again, everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom