Strange Behavior

MusiGal

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
I've kind of seen this addressed, but not really, so if this is out of place or has already been addressed and I missed it, please forgive the repeat.

With that said...I have seven 6-week old almost 7-week old chickens. They have been outside and staying outside for 2 weeks now. We have a 4' X 4' coop inside of a 10' X 16' X 6' enclosed run. By enclosed I mean with hardware cloth, chicken wire & garden fencing (see photo). They have no problem going in and out of their coop during the day, but when it's time to go inside for the night, they want almost nothing to do with it. In fact, they all huddle in a low corner of the run (closest to the door) and just cry and cry until I come put them away. They fight it, but once everyone is in, they stay in with no problems. They also won't go in when it rains. We are in the midst of an absolute torrential rain right now and while it was still light outside. Rather than go inside the coop, they huddled under it...and then when the rain (and lightning!) was at its worst, I saw them huddled in that low, now flooded corner again, just crying. Feeling bad, I went out and put them in the coop...they still fought it, but this time, I guess it was dark enough for them to stay. Crazy birds. My husband thinks I should let them stay out there like that and they'll figure it out on their own, but when they're crying like that, it breaks my heart...I'm a softie! I have essentially been putting them in that coop every night for two weeks. It didn't help anything when I had a heat lamp (light) on inside either. There is only an opening to the coop, no door and the egg boxes act as an awning of sorts. Any ideas? Or do I just have to wait it out? What about the rain? If they were older, I'd say leave them on their own like my husband suggested, but they're not. Thanks!!

I'd say your coop needs natural light. I would cut a window in the coop large enough that it is light in there during the day, like outdoors, and dark at night. It probably only needs a screen, or nothing at all actually, since your run looks predator proof. Your roof looks like it has a good overhang; maybe you can put it on the downwind side. They do do better with natural light in a coop, though. Hopefully, then you can bribe them in with treats for a night or two, and they will go in on their own.

Many chickens stay out in the rain, at least when it is not torrential. Mine wait til the heavy part stops then go out in light rain -- or even don't go in at all during a lighter rain.

Yes this is common behavior for little ones going up and down a ramp, at that age. Sometimes they just decide to stick it out where they are. One thing that helps sometimes is to keep all food inside the coop. That way they are going up and down the ramp all day for their feed.

I would suggest giving them a little shelter to huddle under- even a small tarp or piece of plywood- on the ground to stay out of the rain. They will use this even when fully grown. My chickens don't like to go back into the coop during the rain generally speaking. They like to stay outside if possible. Outdoor shelters are great!

Here is a shelter I built with some wood and clear/blue roofing (see behind the shed) and my chickens just live under that thing practically:

If the little ones still keep huddling down on the ground at night I'd keep at it, putting them inside the coop until they get big enough to do it on their own. They really might die from exposure if they are out in the rain. Another thing you might try is to place a brick or two under the ramp where it touches the ground to make the ramp less steep. I don't know if that would help or not. Certainly your ramp isn't too steep. But I have had that work for me before.

I agree they need some natural light to lure them inside when its time to go to roost.mine are about 10 weeks old . they run in and out all day. take naps thru out the day.is your food and water inside coop? mine is .take care of the babies.after all you are there mama.

I did forget to mention the coop does have a skylight cut in the roof. We have it covered with clear/smoky plastic roofing.

Their food is underneath the coop, their water is outside of it (as seen in the photo). I'll keep putting them in and we'll see if they catch on. I just look like a drowned rat, myself, right now, from having to go out in the pouring rain to put them in the coop. But, they're in there safe and sound and are not coming out, so all is well...AND the rain has stopped. Thanks everyone!

Advice above all good. Additionally I would confine juveniles to coop for a few days and release them late in evening so they will want to go to roost shortly after coming out when memory still fresh. Problem, if works is an imprinting issue.

Any one know why hens will go in the coop at night and all of them gather in one corner of the coop? They have a roost, it is 18 inches high and about 8 ft long

Any one know why hens will go in the coop at night and all of them gather in one corner of the coop? They have a roost, it is 18 inches high and about 8 ft long
The birds in question are not hens yet. Many will not go to roost until 12 or more weeks of age.

To be called hens the birds must at least be to point where eggs are produced and with some the birds must be either a year old or have gone through a molt after becoming a adult.

So I'm guessing the proper wording would be chicks until they are laying or gone threw their first molt. Sorry about that. They use the roost during the day, but not clear if they actually use it at night. My husband made them a little one to start with, but they got too big to use it. Again, my original question is.....
Why do they all huddle in the corner the way they do?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom