strange behavior

momofdrew

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Rochester,New Hampshire
I have a 3 week old chick who seems to be in some distress in breathing...she moves her head up on the inhale and tweets on the exhale putting her head down ... she is not communicating like the other chicks...I have never seen this in any other bird... could she have a cold? she is still eating and drinking...any ideas???

How is she acting otherwise? Is she alert, active, eating, drinking, and pooping okay? She could have something irritating her nose, or she could have a respiratory infection. If she gets worse you might start her on some Duramycin 10, available at feed stores.

she has stopped eating but I have forced her to take water I went to Blue Seal Feeds and picked up an antibiotic...and started that this afternoon...she seems tired...but cant get any rest with her bobbing her head up and down with each breath...

The other 11 chicks seem fine... I hope it isn't a virus... it has been a while since I had babies... they are in a brooder...as the hens don't seem to like them this time.. I lost 4 babies from a nasty hen just as they were finishing hatching...

we put it out of her misery...she was getting weaker and weaker...didn't want her to suffer any more I will keep the 11 on the antibiotic for 7 days just incase it was a bacteria hope none of the others get sick...

Back
Top Bottom