1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjh, Sep 13, 2007.

1. cjh

cjh New Egg

Sep 13, 2007
    Hi Guys,

I have 8 17 week old chickens and they have just started laying eggs. Normally skittish around the kids they are now acting kind of odd. The two red sex link shaver crosses are hunkering down with their wings relaxed and allowing the kids to pet and even pick them up. They even kind of bow down and slightly elevate their tales. This has been going on for a few days now. They act like cats in heat.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm not worried and it is kind of funny. The two year old can barely believe his luck.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    They do this as a submissive pose so the rooster can do his thang. It's normal, mine do it when you walk up on them.

I had to laugh when I read about your two year old. My four year old was estatic when my hens began doing this. I was always yelling, put DOWN that chicken!!!

Good luck!!
    Jess

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    As funny as it sounds, they are submitting to be mated...like they would to a rooster, only if you don't have a rooster they look at their people to do the deed. [​IMG]
    Welcome btw!! [​IMG]

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I have a roo and mine still squat for me. I'm the dominate roo though...I mean hen...I mean...you know what I mean. I rule the roost, not my rooster. They squat for him and me.

5. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    "...They act like cats in heat...."

You're right on the mark there! (as already noted by others)

Our flock of chickens provids us with endless entertainment their various body language signals, vocalizations and sundry artifacts of chicken politics constantly going on.

-Frank

6. cjh

cjh New Egg

Sep 13, 2007
    Thanks for the replies.
    I never thought I'd be yelling "Put down that chicken" so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by