Strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggmeon01, Aug 27, 2011.

1. eggmeon01

eggmeon01 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Scotland
    Hi,

Can someone help me, when i reach down to pick up my hen she stands frozen to the spot and sort of raises her wings/shoulders and put her head down, is this some sort of protection stance, she kust stands ridgit, when i move away she carries on as normal- sorry for asking stupid questions:/

2. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Does she squat? If so, it's a sign she's reaching sexual maturity, and egg laying is just around the corner!

3. eggmeon01

Aug 22, 2011
    Scotland
    yeah she does, i thought she was protecting herself, thank you for advise

4. eggmeon01

Aug 22, 2011
    Scotland
    So can someone tell me what to look for when a hen is about to lay, should i be looking out for anything in particular [​IMG]

5. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Quote:Welcome! Well the sqatting sign that you mentioned lets you know that she's getting close. Now, not all of my birds sing the "egg song" but if you here the bawk bawk baKAWK!!!.....oh boy...there is an egg on the way! [​IMG]

6. eggmeon01

Aug 22, 2011
    Scotland
    [​IMG] thanks

7. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    That's the egg squat. congratulations, you are her rooster.

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Also her comb and face gets really red. It's going to be soon... good luck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi eggmeon,

A couple of other behaviors will be your pullet will investigate good places for egg laying. Sometimes they also (so I hear) act a little grouchy while approaching their first egg. Oh yes...and more vocalizations than usual. squawking and clucking more than they did before.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  10. Sarahnl

Sarahnl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    haha, a couple of my hens do the same thing sometimes when we approach them. I always interpreted it almost like a child or dog allowing you to pick them up. I guess it makes more sense that it's a submissive-rooster-type reaction. hahaha. i thought it was a sign they love us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by