Strange Black Scab

CassieDove

Hatching
Jan 13, 2023
1673656517551.jpeg

I can’t find anything similar to it. Thinking it might be a cyst or abscess? Thinking it could of been caused by and injury that occurred while I was away.

Where on her body is the cyst and scab? Do you know how long it has been there? It reminds me of a type of skin cancer, but hopefully, it is an injury that might respond to cleaning with Betadine or chlorhexidene. Plain neosporin ointment can be applied after. Here is another similar thread about the skin cancer, squamous cell carcinoma:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-on-her-other-leg-developed-a-scab.1559862/

The scab is on her neck and the lump/cyst/abscess is underneath the scab. She’s a naked neck so it’s always been exposed. My mom says it appeared about a month and a half ago and that it’s gotten larger since. I will try using some betadine on it. I looked at the references for the skin cancer, what I think is odd is this scab is the only one on her body the rest of her skin looks fine, no other lesions.

I hope that it heals, but please let us know how she gets along. If you should lose her, most state vets can perform a necropsy to find out what was going on.

Back
Top Bottom