Strange Body Type in Project Orpingtons

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can ever locate some good SQ Buff Orpingtons, I will probably add those in to help improve type a bit more.

So far my Buff Orpington pullet I hatched is the best looking out of my flock so far.

That's all I've had available at the beginning, yes. But still, I only used the best out of those birds I had.
I’ve seen plenty of BA, BR, and BO pullets with a body type like your pullet, and several hatchery BO roosters with a type like your rooster. Even if the parent birds you used had different types, hatchery birds aren’t bred for consistency, so their body shape isn’t locked in their genetics.

Also, I wouldn’t really call it a “game” type, more of a light hatchery layer body type.

Last edited:
I’ve seen plenty of BA, BR, and BO pullets with a body type like your pullet, and several hatchery BO roosters with a type like your rooster. Even if the parents birds you used had different types, hatchery birds aren’t bred for consistency, so their body shape isn’t locked in their genetics. I wouldn’t really call it a “game” type, more of a light hatchery layer body type.
My pullets body looks more like my Red JungleFowl hybrids in body shape, & the rooster has a similar body shape to an american game. That's why I used that description.

Hopefully I can reverse this funkiness that's going on. Gonna breed Goober's daughter to Dino, to see what happens. Dino has a good square body shape.
20201119_134037.jpg

Also, I have a curious question. If you mixed different colored Ameraucanas, & get funky colors, would they still be considered Ameraucanas, or Easter Eggers?

Also, I have a curious question. If you mixed different colored Ameraucanas, & get funky colors, would they still be considered Ameraucanas, or Easter Eggers?
I’ve heard that ameraucana breeders often call mixed color ameraucanas Easter eggers. Personally, I would just call them mixed color ameraucanas, but I’m not a breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom