Strange Body Type in Project Orpingtons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, let's see if I can explain this more clearly then...

You crossed a bird that is half Orpington to a bird that is also half Orpington. I'm unsure if you bred that bird back to a half Orpington parent or not, although it doesn't really matter. The parents carried genes that are not Orpington. And so does this bird. Regardless of the fact that she has white skin (not too difficult to accomplish as white is dominant to yellow) but most likely still carries the yellow gene she is not Buff. Nor is she an Orpington. Therefore she is not a pure Buff Orpington. Does that make sense?
The Buff chick's mother was a Pure Buff Orpington hen. I back crossed my project birds to Buff Orpingtons.

My only half Orpington bird is a Buff Orpington/Australorp hen. She wasn't laying at the time I collected the eggs for hatching.

Yellow skin seems to be dominant over white skin, I see it alot in my project Orpingtons.

Dino, my F1, was crossed bred to Buff Orpington. He has white skin. The Buff Chick is his daughter.
His exact make up, is Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X Buff Orpington/Australorp.

Dino also has a son with White skin.

F2, Goober, Dino's son, yellow skin, has a daughter with yellow skin. He was created through a Sibling Breeding, of Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X Buff Orpington/Australorp crosses.

Dino's two daughters without barring has yellow skin, or carries one copy of the white skin gene.

I know nothing about the pedigree of my recently acquired roo, but he looks similar.

Attachments

• IMG_20210730_170046.jpg
    IMG_20210730_170046.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 8
The Buff chick's mother was a Pure Buff Orpington hen. I back crossed my project birds to Buff Orpingtons.

My only half Orpington bird is a Buff Orpington/Australorp hen. She wasn't laying at the time I collected the eggs for hatching.

Yellow skin seems to be dominant over white skin, I see it alot in my project Orpingtons.

Dino, my F1, was crossed bred to Buff Orpington. He has white skin. The Buff Chick is his daughter.
His exact make up, is Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X Buff Orpington/Australorp.

Dino also has a son with White skin.

F2, Goober, Dino's son, yellow skin, has a daughter with yellow skin. He was created through a Sibling Breeding, of Buff Orpington/Barred Rock X Buff Orpington/Australorp crosses.

Dino's two daughters without barring has yellow skin, or carries one copy of the white skin gene.
White is dominant over yellow. If you’re getting yellow legs from breeding white legged parents, they must have one recessive yellow leg gene.

White is dominant over yellow. If you’re getting yellow legs from breeding white legged parents, they must have one recessive yellow leg gene.
How does my Buff Orpington/Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock mix cockerel have yellow legs, if white is dominant over yellow?
20210728_140826.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom