Strange breathing/vocalizations

chickychicks5

Chirping
Sep 26, 2018
Let my girls out this am and this girl had been making this noise ( sounds like a human asthmatic trying to get a breath/ wheezing) and hiccup continuously any ideas? Everything else looks ok. Clear eyes and nares

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
A short video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here could help. Some chickens can make a sound of stridor if they get a small piece of food or a mucus plug stuck in the airway. It can clear up within a few hours. If it persists and you see sneezing, watery eyes,head shaking, or nasal drainage, it could be a respiratory disease. Here is a video of stridor:

A short video uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here could help. Some chickens can make a sound of stridor if they get a small piece of food or a mucus plug stuck in the airway. It can clear up within a few hours. If it persists and you see sneezing, watery eyes,head shaking, or nasal drainage, it could be a respiratory disease. Here is a video of stridor:

Thank you I'm trying to figure out how to post a video but facebook won't let me so Ill try to figure out youtube! She does sound like this and hopefully thats all it is! Thank you!

Let us know if this stridor clears up today or tomorrow. If she is not in any distress, I would probably let her out with her flock to go about the day. If she has any other symptoms, let us know. Stridor is usually a temporary symptom that goes away, but sometimes it can be a symptom of a respiratory infection. That would include the other symptoms in my previous post.

I used to have a hen who ate very fast, and she would get this every now and then. It always went away overnight. There are numerous threads here on BYC about similar experiences with temporary stridor that go away.

Let us know if this stridor clears up today or tomorrow. If she is not in any distress, I would probably let her out with her flock to go about the day. If she has any other symptoms, let us know. Stridor is usually a temporary symptom that goes away, but sometimes it can be a symptom of a respiratory infection. That would include the other symptoms in my previous post.

I used to have a hen who ate very fast, and she would get this every now and then. It always went away overnight. There are numerous threads here on BYC about similar experiences with temporary stridor that go away.
Ok thanks so much!! I’ll put her back out as she’s. It liking being isolated. The only symptom is the stridor. I will give an update tomorrow!

You were right!! She is perfectly fine this morning!! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom