Strange bumps on 8-9 week old chicks

chicksinthailand

Chirping
Aug 26, 2021
I have 9 8-9 week old silkie, polish and satin chicks. They are in an isolated pen with no contact with other chickens or wild birds. about 2+ weeks ago, one developed a blister on his toe. Then a second chick got one on a toe. Since then, all but one have been developing swollen bumps on their feet, around their eyes, and one apparently has it on his bum. They look nothing like the fowl pox lesions my adults had last year. Last week I did a mini surgery on the first one's toe bump, I thought it was an infected bite and I was worried about the infection spreading. There was no hard pus, it was just tissue in there, and the antibiotic I dressed it with didn't decrease the size at all. It seems that the bumps are irritating since they are scratching and breaking the skin around their eyes .I'm including pictures here, if anyone has any ideas on what's going on/treatment, I would really appreciate the help.
58247.jpg
58250.jpg

My poor polish has this large one on the top of his vent, the actual vent opening is underneath and looks fine, it's not a prolapse.
58245.jpg

Attachments

• 58246.jpg
    58246.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 58249.jpg
    58249.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2
That is fowl pox. It looks different on chicks than adults. Do not disturb those scabs if possible, since the scabs are contagious. If they are blocking a nostril, it may be necessary. Povidone iodine (Betadine) can be painted on the scabs to help dry them up. Pox lasts about a month, but the dried up scabs may be dropped in the area, and those may become powdery and inhaled, further spreading the pox virus. Usually, chickens who have had fowl pox, will be immune to that type later on.

Ok thank you! I was worried they were bites or something worse. My older birds have always recovered from pox, so if that's all this is, that puts my mind at ease. I'll give the betadine a try.

Back
Top Bottom