Strange bumps on my hens legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Happyfeathers16, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Happyfeathers16

Happyfeathers16 New Egg

Sep 30, 2015
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]
    About a week ago my I noticed some strange looking bumps on one of my hens legs. They don't seem to bother her, but they are getting bigger. I began to try to treat them with tea tree oil, because I thought that maybe it was mites? I separated her from the flock and have been treating her but it has not gotten any better. Please help me identify or diagnose!! I even called the local vet with no luck.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    It's hard to tell by the picture. Bumps on a chicken's leg can either be from feathered legs, which is normal, or from scaly leg mites. I would need a better picture to be able to tell which.

3. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just going to say scaly leg mites. Coat the legs with petroleum jelly.

4. Happyfeathers16

Happyfeathers16 New Egg

Sep 30, 2015
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

Here is a better pic of the leg that is affected. Thank you

5. Bridebeliever

I would go with scaly leg mites as an answer. Coat those legs in petroleum jelly! (It smothers and kills the mites)

6. Happyfeathers16

Happyfeathers16 New Egg

Sep 30, 2015
    Louisiana
    And how will I know when it is gone? I read that with mites you have to wait for them to molt for the scales to come back in healed?

7. Bridebeliever

8. Happyfeathers16

Happyfeathers16 New Egg

Sep 30, 2015
    Louisiana
    I also have some diatomaceous earth, but I was not entirely sure of the best way to use it? I have a 20 lb bag.

9. Bridebeliever

DE is a great thing to have available for them to dust bath in it. You don't want all DE in the dust bath though, it's not good to breath. This is MY recipe; 5 cups of DE, 5 cups of wood ash (leftovers from burning wood from the woodstove). 20 cups of fresh dirt. This help keep the parasites off their body and I'm sure helps the legs too. You should also sprinkle a little DE in their nesting box. Some add a little DE in their food too. (Check your bag and make sure it's FOOD GRADE if you do that though.)

10. Happyfeathers16

Happyfeathers16 New Egg

Sep 30, 2015
    Louisiana
    Thank you so much for your help!! Def learning to think on my feet with chickens!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by