1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange but True??? Chickens biting Christmas lights.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Peepers4Piper, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Peepers4Piper

Peepers4Piper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    NKY
    Okay this may be a very strange/dumb question...BUT...is it possible that our chickens bit our Christmas lights in half? The reason I ask is the chickens were out today picking the berries off the burning bushes per the norm. They were on the front porch or around it quite a bit actually. Tonight when the better 1/2 went to plug them in he found that they were snipped in various places along a 3 strand cord!?! They worked just last night! I was home all day working from home and spent much of the day in the living room in front of the windows facing said bushes. Is this even possible? Thoughts? Opinions? Punch lines? [​IMG]Many thanks! Happy early Turkey Day!

2. SixChickFlock

SixChickFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Chicago - Old Irving Park
    Squirrels seem to love chewing on light strands. Whether the lights are on or off.

3. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Seems a bit odd for a chicken... And a little hard for them to do in my mind... If your chickens managed it they have some sharp beaks!

4. Peepers4Piper

Aug 11, 2014
    NKY
    Well I thought it was pretty darn weird but I had to ask. We'd never see anything like it! And because my birds were the only thing I SAW near the bushes of course they were the first things that popped into my head. Believe it or not we do not have squirrels that come up to the house but ground squirrels though...that's a different story. Will chipmunks do it too?

5. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    My son has tons of lights,he's been blaming my goats for chewing lights,I bet it was our squirrels too. We have a black grey squirrel and lots of grey ones.

6. Peepers4Piper

Aug 11, 2014
    NKY
    We've had tons of chipmunks and squirrels over the years but have never experienced this. Chickens are a new variable too. So obviously I have a lot of stupid questions. :)

7. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Chipmunks are rodents I bet they chew wire

8. maranfarmer563

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    What is NKY

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Were the wires cut or the light bulbs broken?
    Were they on at the time?
    If wire, was it chewed up or cleanly cut?
    I wonder if rabbits would do that?

10. maranfarmer563

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    If it was close to the ground rabbits,up in the air squirrels

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by