Strange chick behavior?

Tigerhoney

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
West Texas
So I recently bought 6 Easter egger chicks from Cackle hatchery and they're about a week old now. I noticed they get very skittish when I put my hand into the brooder to change the water or their food. This all changes when I let them run around on the floor, they approach me with no fear to "investigate" I could even pet them and grab them without them running for cover. So what's the problem? Is this normal? Has anyone dealt with this before??

Chickens are prey animals frequently attacked from aboye by raptors. They tend to be scared of anything approaching from directly above.

When you reach your hand into the brooder from above and they run for cover, they're simply following instinct. They think your hand is a hawk. When you're on the floor with them, you're reaching at them more towards their level.

So I recently bought 6 Easter egger chicks from Cackle hatchery and they're about a week old now. I noticed they get very skittish when I put my hand into the brooder to change the water or their food. This all changes when I let them run around on the floor, they approach me with no fear to "investigate" I could even pet them and grab them without them running for cover. So what's the problem? Is this normal? Has anyone dealt with this before??

Chickens are prey animals frequently attacked from aboye by raptors.  They tend to be scared of anything approaching from directly above.

Woah... Raptors?! Where do you live?!

Chickens are prey animals frequently attacked from aboye by raptors.  They tend to be scared of anything approaching from directly above.
When you reach your hand into the brooder from above and they run for cover, they're simply following instinct. They think your hand is a hawk. When you're on the floor with them, you're reaching at them more towards their level.

Ahh that makes perfect sense! Well thanks for clarifying this.

Last edited:
Truthfully, i also wanna know abt this. i have 4 week old polish and they're comfy with me in general, just they get very scared when one is seperate from the rest. They always wanna be together. and also, when will they feel comfy enough to come over and not get scared of me when i put my hands out? i feel they still think im a stranger, and then i see pics posted on this site and it seems like plenty of people hold their chickens without them fighting or escaping. when will the calmer behavior show up?

Truthfully, i also wanna know abt this. i have 4 week old polish and they're comfy with me in general, just they get very scared when one is seperate from the rest. They always wanna be together. and also, when will they feel comfy enough to come over and not get scared of me when i put my hands out? i feel they still think im a stranger, and then i see pics posted on this site and it seems like plenty of people hold their chickens without them fighting or escaping. when will the calmer behavior show up?

Yeah I noticed that too, maybe it's just separation anxiety?? Maybe as they get older they'll become a little more calm and I'm assuming once you've worked with them for a while they'll see you as " normal"?? Haha I'm really new to owning chickens, so this all but an assumption.

Yeah I noticed that too, maybe it's just separation anxiety?? Maybe as they get older they'll become a little more calm and I'm assuming once you've worked with them for a while they'll see you as " normal"?? Haha I'm really new to owning chickens, so this all but an assumption.
lol np, welcome to the community!
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
I see ur a new one. so am i relatively, but i read up a lot in the site and the very sweet people in this community have been very helpful and nice to give suggestions etc, enjoy the site, its loaded with unbelievable help and info, and after just a few threads and articles ull feel like a pro.
smile.png
Have much luck!

lol np, welcome to the community! :welcome :frow I see ur a new one. so am i relatively, but i read up a lot in the site and the very sweet people in this community have been very helpful and nice to give suggestions etc, enjoy the site, its loaded with unbelievable help and info, and after just a few threads and articles ull feel like a pro. :)  Have much luck!

Thank you! Yeah I can see people really help each other out on this site! Which was the reason why I joined lol

Back
Top Bottom