Strange chicken just showed up and joined my flock this week!

I don't know yet if she's laying any eggs. She might be sneaking in the nest boxes while I'm away or else laying in the barn somewhere. can you send a pic of your EE?

Actually I take that back.... Having looked at ChixDigMe's link, I think she is an Old English Game hen.

BBRedOEGHen.JPEG

What color eggs do OEGs lay? If not greenish or bluish, then once she lays, you could know if she's an OEG or an Ameracauna mix. :)

Quote:
My Uncial raises OEG's and has quiet a few that look like that. From what iv seen their eggs seem to be a light brown almost wight color. They are grate mothers and go broody often. Good luck with your new hen!
ya.gif

Maxine.jpg

This is an older picture of Maxine. She looked like this most of the time until this past year - she went into a hard molt (I should have taken a picture of that!) and then the resulting feathers are quite pretty.

No picture of that - I'll try to get some this week.

Allowing free access like this is one of the reasons Bird Flu spreads so quickly during serious outbreaks. The first rule of Biosecurity is keeping unknown animals and people out of your flock/herd.

Jim

Today I had a gentleman stop by my farm with five 4 month old chicks. He had bought them at the beginning of the summer so his grandchildren could watch some chicks grow into chickens. Now that the summer is over he was heading back to his home in Mass. and wanted to know if I wanted them. My scottish heritage required that I take them in, because free is good LOL, but they also presented me with a problem. I didn't want them to join my other ladies immediately for the reasons you mention Jim. My question is how long should these young ladies (?) remain in isolation. And yes I'll get some pictures of them soon. 2 of them look like Rhode Island reds or NH reds one supposedly will lay blue eggs the other two I have no clue maybe OEG's . We have taken to calling them the "Flat lander 5"
lol.png
I guess it's time to make that tractor style run
th.gif

Farmer Mack
cool.png
big_smile.png
5 goats 16 chickens, 1 dawg, 2 cats, and the wife is still here (whew!!) Bonnie Brooke farm and chicken orphanage
lau.gif

Quarantine them for a month & watch carefully for signs of disease. Be careful about not cross-contaminating the 2 flocks with food containers, shoes, or others items that may spread potential disease.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom