Strange chicken poo!

sonderah

Songster
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Hardinsburg, Ky
A few of my chicken's poo has changed. Its very runny and odd colored.
e6unu8a6.jpg

And sometimes one will shoot out what looks like plain clear water, with maybe some chunks of what looks like grass or something.
Idk if this is normal, or maybe something is wrong?

How is the bird behaving besides?
It looks like a ceacal dropping. The watery droppings you also mentioned could be due to heat. Try using some probiotic dispersible powder like Probios in the drinking water. In addition, use a vitamin powder labeled for poultry. Do this for a day or two and see what the droppings look like. Keep us posted. I use probiotics and vitamins at least 3 days a week. More often during molting or breeding season.

Last edited:
I agree, that looks like a cecal dropping. Every 10 droppings or so, a bird releases an especially smelly, often strangly-colored dropping from its ceca. Ceca are small pouches near the end of the large intestine that hold microrganisms that can digest fiber.

As for the nearly completely water droppings, hot weather can cause these. This is because birds drink more water in hot weather. I wouldn't worry to much about it, as long as they act healthy otherwise.

Thanks for the information. They all act fine. Its definately been hot and humid lately. So, cecal droppings are normal then?? One does have a light colored comb and wattles, but they all appear to be starting to molt.

Thanks for the information. They all act fine. Its definately been hot and humid lately. So, cecal droppings are normal then?? One does have a light colored comb and wattles, but they all appear to be starting to molt.

Yes, ceacal droppings are a normal, daily occurance. Excessive urates (white fluid which caps the dropping), light green or bright yellow, watery droppings, poor appetite, drinking excessive amounts of water are signs to act quickly upon.

I've found that adding half starter/grower ration, which is usually 20-22% protein, and half lay ration are helpful during the onset to completion of a moult. Keeping the water supplemented with a good vitamin powder like Avian Super Pack or Dawes' Stresseez and some probiotics too. This will help the bird overcome stress during a moult.

In the Southern states people often worm their birds more frequently. Humid environments aid the survival of parasitic worms. I'm in California and generally worm twice a year or unless I see evidence of worms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom