Strange Chicken

Kwik1

Hatching
Jun 25, 2022
This is our first year raising chicken. Have question that I really need answered. I have a flock of 15 mixed hens Jersey Giants, Barred Rock and Easter Egger mixes. All girls are doing fine except 1 Jersey giant does not want to get off roost once the door is open. Everyone else rushes out the door except, but once we take her off the roost and set her at the door she heads out and interacts normal with all the others. Any Ideas????

This is our first year raising chicken. Have question that I really need answered. I have a flock of 15 mixed hens Jersey Giants, Barred Rock and Easter Egger mixes. All girls are doing fine except 1 Jersey giant does not want to get off roost once the door is open. Everyone else rushes out the door except, but once we take her off the roost and set her at the door she heads out and interacts normal with all the others. Any Ideas????
-What time are you opening the door in the mornings?

-If you don't physically move her how long does she stay roosting for? Another couple of hours or the entire day?

-Is she otherwise healthy and normal?

-Have you seen her getting bullied or bullying others?

-Have you ever seen her have trouble getting up or down from the roosts on her own?

-What height are the roosts from the ground?

Last edited:

-If you don't physically move her how long does she stay roosting for? Another couple of hours or the entire day?

-Have you ever seen her have trouble getting up or down from the roosts on her own?

On average we open the door at 6:30am, all but her come out usually. we, have never waited to see if it's all day. Will go out at around 8am, take off the low roost and place her by the door and off she goes, and interacts normally with the rest of the crew. ????

Her roost she uses is about 12" off the floor. the others are about 20". We made the low one figuring maybe the others were to high all though the rest of the crew had no problem getting up there. She has no problem getting up on the lower one now but does not seem to want to get off in the morning.

My guess is she has a hard time getting down from the roost, being a larger and heavier breed. How high up is the roost she uses? Is there a ramp or anything to help her get down?
She is really not that large right now only about 15 weeks old, everyone in the coup is about the same size.

On average we open the door at 6:30am, all but her come out usually. we, have never waited to see if it's all day. Will go out at around 8am, take off the low roost and place her by the door and off she goes, and interacts normally with the rest of the crew. ????
If you are only waiting until 8 am before you remove her that may very well be why. I have several chickens who like to sit and roost a bit longer while the others run out.

Back
Top Bottom