Strange defecation after therapeutic Epsom salt bath

MatthewMChickens

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
Hi there,

One of my hens, who is <1 year old has been acting quite lethargic and has been looking a bit messy in the vent area.
Her feathers seemed out of place around that area. Nothing looked or felt unusual, there was nothing that felt really hard.

I put her in a nice warm Epsom salt bath as an immediate measure. After the bath she left and moved around and defecated a large, watery poo.
It appeared she had a 'worm' in her poo, but it looked like a garden worm that she may've eaten. It didn't look like a parasitic worm.
She was dried and is now back perching. Her head is rescinded into her feathers, and still looks quite sleepy.

Photo of poo:
(imgur.com) /a/V4UQWTk

I am now wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. Will this issue resolve or do I need to treat her further? Any advice appreciated.

Great thanks,
Matthew M

Last edited:
Hi there,

One of my hens, who is <1 year old has been acting quite lethargic and has been looking a bit messy in the vent area.
Her feathers seemed out of place around that area. Nothing looked or felt unusual, there was nothing that felt really hard.

I put her in a nice warm Epsom salt bath as an immediate measure. After the bath she left and moved around and defecated a large, watery poo.
It appeared she had a 'worm' in her poo, but it looked like a garden worm that she may've eaten. It didn't look like a parasitic worm.
She was dried and is now back perching. Her head is rescinded into her feathers, and still looks quite sleepy.

Photo of poo:
(imgur.com) /a/V4UQWTk

I am now wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. Will this issue resolve or do I need to treat her further? Any advice appreciated.

Great thanks,
Matthew M
Can you retry the link, but without a spoiler?

You're welcome.

She may have worms, not ruling that out.

I can tag some people who may also help, you.
That would be great.

I tried worming them once with levamisole, but they never drank the water solution. I withheld for the entire time, and the next day they didn't drink a single ml of water... I think I'll try and syringe it another way when she seems a bit more into it.

That would be great.

I tried worming them once with levamisole, but they never drank the water solution. I withheld for the entire time, and the next day they didn't drink a single ml of water... I think I'll try and syringe it another way when she seems a bit more into it.
I never heard of that wormer.

Back
Top Bottom