Strange!!! Did my rooster lay this egg?

This tops high on my list of strangest things I've ever seen... I came upon what I thought was a deflated water balloon on my back deck...and no idea where it came from... Nope, it has a yoke inside! My hens are all in the coop! The only chicken loose is the rooster! Is Zorro half Zoey? :idunno

Look up gynandromorphs. And also natural sex change in chickens.

Well now.... all the posters treating me like a moron owe an apology lol :lau not really...making others feel bad make some people feel better...but I don't feel bad and don't care. Was just truly curious because I had never heard of or experienced anything quite so strange. Thank you for the link! I knew there are some strange mutations in nature, especially with all the chemicals and hormones they stick in our food supply and environment.
I don't think anyone wand to make you feel bad. We were are puzzled by this problem.
Odds are that this doesn't apply to your rooster
Agreed, it is very rare
Look up gynandromorphs. And also natural sex change in chickens.
Though some hens have changed into roos, they stopped laying eggs to do so. Never has a roo changing into a hen been seen as far as i know.

Though some hens have changed into roos, they stopped laying eggs to do so. Never has a roo changing into a hen been seen as far as i know.

Hens don't change into roos, their hormones change if their ovary stops working. But if the ovary condition clears up they can "change" back. It's just hormone related.

1613840454787.png

Hens don't change into roos, their hormones change if their ovary stops working. But if the ovary condition clears up they can "change" back. It's just hormone related.

View attachment 2538077
think OP would have noticed this.

OK, this is the voice of reason:
'Roosters Do Not Lay Eggs.
That Is A Rooster.
That Is A Chicken Egg.
So This Egg Was Probably Taken Out Of The Run Or Put There As A Joke.
Thank You, GoodNight.'

If it happened when the chick was very young before adult feathers grew in, I could see how it could be missed. I could also see how a 'faulty' reproductive system could produce a thin shelled egg especially if that chicken is young and hasn't been offered oyster shell.

Reason says if you want to know the answer you have to verify the facts. There are only two explanations here. Either the chicken has a hormone issue that makes it appear male or the egg was placed. The latter is the most likely but it can't be verified. So the OP can attempt to verify the gender without basing it solely on appearance and that would give the OP a definitive answer.

I dunno why it HAS to be xyz as if it is wrong to question things and HAVE to stop talking about it. Just because something rarely happens does not mean it is impossible. I am curious and personally would like to know if it could be a hormone related issue or not and would love for the OP to keep this updated even if it takes a while to know for sure.

So. What's wrong with that?

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1075&context=ccr

I had a rooster that I got tired of because he was attacking me and scaring the girls. He just wasn't a nice rooster. So he's gone, and then I see one of my delawares humping another hen. What??!? He never crowed but once I really looked at him he's got a nice big rooster comb, and big thick legs. I had so many I just never noticed him. So I get the eggs one day and I had exactly the same number of eggs that I did chickens. He squats for me like the hens do because they think I'm a rooster now. But it's very likely he's sexually confused and might be laying an egg. I don't really know for sure.

Well now.... all the posters treating me like a moron owe an apology lol :lau not really...making others feel bad make some people feel better...but I don't feel bad and don't care. Was just truly curious because I had never heard of or experienced anything quite so strange. Thank you for the link! I knew there are some strange mutations in nature, especially with all the chemicals and hormones they stick in our food supply and environment.
If your rooster looks like a rooster of his breed should, this doesn't apply to him.

Ok, seriously...I had the exact same thing happen to us recently. We absolutely cannot figure out where this egg came from, because the only one who gets out of the coop and range area is our rooster (he's smaller and lighter and can use his wings to float over the top of the fence). It too was a strange, soft egg and was laid right near our back door, like he left us a present. And, I'm telling you that none of the other chickens have gotten out of the coop in months. I was literally going to ask about this today. It's the weirdest thing.

Back
Top Bottom