Strange!!! Did my rooster lay this egg?

In a realm so far off it is just outside the door to the twilight zone, yes some chickens can be intersex (old word: hermaphrodite). BUT, they would nearly never be fertile with both sets of chromosomes or organs, so my question is:

Does your roo fertilize the hens' eggs? Because if so, then this is not 'his' egg.

Edit to say that any 'roos' that lay eggs are actually hens with secondary sex characteristics showing male-type feathering. Male on the outside maybe, but by definition - female on the inside.

I had a rooster that I got tired of because he was attacking me and scaring the girls. He just wasn't a nice rooster. So he's gone, and then I see one of my delawares humping another hen. What??!? He never crowed but once I really looked at him he's got a nice big rooster comb, and big thick legs. I had so many I just never noticed him. So I get the eggs one day and I had exactly the same number of eggs that I did chickens. He squats for me like the hens do because they think I'm a rooster now. But it's very likely he's sexually confused and might be laying an egg. I don't really know for sure.
That sounds more like a dominant hen. Does she/he have pointed male-specific feathering?

Ok, seriously...I had the exact same thing happen to us recently. We absolutely cannot figure out where this egg came from, because the only one who gets out of the coop and range area is our rooster (he's smaller and lighter and can use his wings to float over the top of the fence). It too was a strange, soft egg and was laid right near our back door, like he left us a present. And, I'm telling you that none of the other chickens have gotten out of the coop in months. I was literally going to ask about this today. It's the weirdest thing.
If your rooster can get out, it’s very likely your hens can too. It would just be more difficult for them.

In a realm so far off it is just outside the door to the twilight zone, yes some chickens can be intersex (old word: hermaphrodite). BUT, they would nearly never be fertile with both sets of chromosomes or organs, so my question is:

Does your roo fertilize the hens' eggs? Because if so, then this is not 'his' egg.

Edit to say that any 'roos' that lay eggs are actually hens with secondary sex characteristics showing male-type feathering. Male on the outside maybe, but by definition - female on the inside.
1613857569978.png

This tops high on my list of strangest things I've ever seen... I came upon what I thought was a deflated water balloon on my back deck...and no idea where it came from... Nope, it has a yoke inside! My hens are all in the coop! The only chicken loose is the rooster! Is Zorro half Zoey? :idunno
Over the years I have found them to, it's an egg without it's shell. For some reason I can't explain it happens every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom