Strange!!! Did my rooster lay this egg?

A friend of ours gave us a chicken which they thought was a rooster because it started crowing. I brought him home and I at the time only had one other chicken. He crowed and acted like a ROOSTER. Then I got some more babies and in those babies I had a few roosters. I then found a spot in my yard that had so many eggs I couldn't believe it, how did one chicken lay this many eggs. Time went by, and the "rooster" was no longer crowing. It was back to acting like a chicken. This made me realize that one chicken didn't lay all of those mysterious eggs. That rooster was actually a big chicken.

As time went on, she again started acting like a rooster ..... crowing, jumping on the ladies, ect. I again got new babies, with a couple new roosters and now she is acting like a chicken again. So all along she has never been a rooster, and has always been laying eggs.

A friend of ours gave us a chicken which they thought was a rooster because it started crowing. I brought him home and I at the time only had one other chicken. He crowed and acted like a ROOSTER. Then I got some more babies and in those babies I had a few roosters. I then found a spot in my yard that had so many eggs I couldn't believe it, how did one chicken lay this many eggs. Time went by, and the "rooster" was no longer crowing. It was back to acting like a chicken. This made me realize that one chicken didn't lay all of those mysterious eggs. That rooster was actually a big chicken.

As time went on, she again started acting like a rooster ..... crowing, jumping on the ladies, ect. I again got new babies, with a couple new roosters and now she is acting like a chicken again. So all along she has never been a rooster, and has always been laying eggs.
Are you trying to say the same bird was laying and fertilizing eggs?

I never said she fertilized, i said she went through the motions.... she acts like she is a rooster but she obviously is not a rooster. She is a big chicken that acted like a rooster
Oh, okay, my bad. You kept mentioning she would mount hens and then you would hatch babies, and hadn't mentioned you had a rooster other than her so I thought you meant she was fertilizing them

Do you have a picture of this hen? I was wondering how “rooster-like” she looks.

I can only add this. When my hens first started to lay which is just recently because they will not be a full 12 months old until May 18th. There are nine of them. My last one just started to lay this past week actually but I think she was some what slowed down because of heat sickness from the terrible heat we had in MS this past summer. I almost lost her but she pulled through. Her comb is much smaller than her sisters. Anyway I found at least five of these eggs on our poop boards. None in the egg boxes or any other locations so that was easy cleanup but definitely alarmed me for a second. After the first ones I figured out that it was normal for some during the early process for them so I didn’t worry about it too much.

Back
Top Bottom