strange dog like poo??

chickencity

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
yesterday i noticed a really large dog like chicken poo. at 1st glance i thought a dog was in my yard but after a closer look i seen the urrites(sp) on the end. i found some more just like it today. what would cause my hens to have large dog poos? sorry for the descirption..didn't know how ealse to describe it lol.

How old is the chicken? Does the chicken eat? Is the poo normal corlored? more info please.

If they eat they poo
if she is not old enough to be broody that is not applicable
sounds normal to me...unless it is discolored, loose and runny.

Last edited:
my hens are one year old. i havent noticed any of them being broody. the poo is colored just like a dog poo. dark brown. i dont haven any roosters. and they are kept in a 1/2 acre lot so they free range during the day.

I would not worry about it unless it changes color drastically, becomes loose or they begin acting differently.

They will have a dark poo which is called I believe cecal (sp) that is darker almost like chocolate. That is normal.

are you positive it's from the chickens? toads produce giant stools that resemble dog waste. it had me scratchin' my head for quite a while until the kid kept a toad for a few days and it produced the evidence....

How long have you had chickens? As a hen gets older and she has been in lay for a long time- they get a bit 'stretched' out in that area. The cloaca (where egg and poop empty in to before exiting the body through the same hole- the vent) can hold an egg before release. If the poop is about the size of a large chicken egg, but definitely a chicken poop- then it is probably from one of your hens in lay, and one that has been laying the longest. Some of my older hens lay monster poops- those poops large enough to make wearing boots essential...

Back
Top Bottom