Strange Duck Behavior

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello friends! Happy August! I just wanted to ask for some opinions and insight into some behavior I've been noticing in my one blue runner duck. She has been keeping her neck down and tight to her body very frequently over the last two weeks. I've included some photos for you to see. She is the blue runner underneath the ladder in the photos. She's been very vocal as well, quacking loudly and often. I thought it was a crop issue at first, but sometimes it doesn't seem to be related to the crop. She is eating fine and drinking too. She is laying eggs and pooping. I've included a pic of one of her poops for reference. When she does poop, it's a lot! I recently switched feeds so I'm wondering if that is the issue. I'm going to go back to Nutrena All Flock. I've added acv to their water this week to try to help her out, as well as, some extra niacin. The ducks are five months old or so. They started laying a few weeks ago. I thought maybe the chickens were picking on her so I've been separating out my chickens but it hasn't changed her stance. She does stretch her neck out to forage and to drink water, but most of the time, she has been keeping it tighter in to her body. I do not own any drakes, just 4 females. They do "mate" with each other so maybe it's an injury from that. I don't know. I'm baffled. Anything you can advise me on or ideas as to what might be going on would be greatly appreciated.

PXL_20210806_111540763.MP (1).jpg

PXL_20210806_111543623.MP.jpg

PXL_20210806_111549084.MP.jpg

PXL_20210806_111016779.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210806_111543623.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210806_111543623.MP.jpg
    1,018 KB · Views: 4
Could she be broody or about to be broody?

When my ducks are feeling broody they pull their necks in, get a bit fluffy and dart around. Their voices change into grumpy quacks with little occasional peeps. They get bossier and have some personality changes, too. Oh, yes and the poops get bulkier!

Could she be broody or about to be broody?

When my ducks are feeling broody they pull their necks in, get a bit fluffy and dart around. Their voices change into grumpy quacks with little occasional peeps. They get bossier and have some personality changes, too. Oh, yes and the poops get bulkier!
I'm actually so glad you mentioned broodiness. When I was checking around on the forum and online for some answers, I had seen that and thought maybe that was it. She is definitely very bossy right now and loud and sassy. I'm thinking that might be what it is. Anything I can do to help her out? I'm going to go back to the Nutrena food anyway just in case.

I'm actually so glad you mentioned broodiness. When I was checking around on the forum and online for some answers, I had seen that and thought maybe that was it. She is definitely very bossy right now and loud and sassy. I'm thinking that might be what it is. Anything I can do to help her out? I'm going to go back to the Nutrena food anyway just in case.
I'm not sure ducks can have broody behavior at 5 months old... I can't remember how old mine were the first time they started. Hopefully more experienced members will chime in with their feedback on that soon. Is she darting about or putting feathers in a nest?

I have had a sick duck pull in her neck before. My vet said she was in pain. But from what you are describing it does not sound like that to me. Saying, "She's been very vocal as well, quacking loudly and often." Along with the big poop makes me think possibly broody.

To help my ducks stop being broody I clear away eggs immediately after they are layed, I remove all remotely egg shaped items (my ducks like to dig up rocks and try to incubate them when they are desperate), I remove and destroy all nests everyday, and I leave their favorite nesting corners bare with no bedding. I try to distract them with pool time and lots of foraging walks, too. I don't know if it helps or just makes me feel good. :)

My welsh harlequin was broody a month or two ago. She usually runs over to me every time I call her, but she was all kinds of grumpy and "insubordinate." I found a couple videos. In them you can hear her vocal changes, see her fluffiness, and see her change in posture. Sorry the second video is on the side... I can't seem to fix that.

I'm not sure ducks can have broody behavior at 5 months old... I can't remember how old mine were the first time they started. Hopefully more experienced members will chime in with their feedback on that soon. Is she darting about or putting feathers in a nest?

I have had a sick duck pull in her neck before. My vet said she was in pain. But from what you are describing it does not sound like that to me. Saying, "She's been very vocal as well, quacking loudly and often." Along with the big poop makes me think possibly broody.

To help my ducks stop being broody I clear away eggs immediately after they are layed, I remove all remotely egg shaped items (my ducks like to dig up rocks and try to incubate them when they are desperate), I remove and destroy all nests everyday, and I leave their favorite nesting corners bare with no bedding. I try to distract them with pool time and lots of foraging walks, too. I don't know if it helps or just makes me feel good. :)
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about her age and being on the young side to go broody. I also didn't think that runner ducks typically go broody. However, all of the behaviors do match up. The only thing is, I don't see her actually sitting on a nest area much. She is just marching around with her fluffed up body, loudly quacking, and holding her neck in tight. I haven't seen her putting feathers in a nest. My chickens are molting a bit so there are feathers around and they end up in the coop/nesting area, but I haven't seen her actually building with them or anything. I have been removing the eggs every day. I did have some dummy eggs that I had been keeping in there but I took them all out. I bought the Nutrena feed and started them back on that today. I'll just keep an eye on her. Thanks for the videos and input.

Back
Top Bottom