strange egg/bone question.

SLWyandotte

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Chatom, Alabama
didn't know where else to put this.

if a hen is given insufficient calcium, will this cause her to have weak bones. i know in mammals that a calcium deficiency in the blood and muscle will cause the body to cannibalize the bones for the required calcium causing weak bones. but will this happen in birds? i mean a chicken goes through an enormous amount amount of calcium a month considering size. their muscles work the same as ours, so that takes calcium and she produces an egg every day or so. also birds have hollow bones. so it stands to reason the it would have an even greater effect on them than on a mammal. just a random thought from my twisted brain on chicken osteoporosis.

Quote:
I would suspect that insufficient calcium would affect eggs as well as their bones. I imagine you would see the results firsthand in their shelless eggs, softshell eggs, mishapen eggs etc...then eventually effecting their bones. Regular commercial layer feed has the necessary calcium (and other minerals and vitamins) to maximize egg production in layers for the most part. Apple cider vinegar added to water helps with calcium absorption in their digestive system. Crushed oyster shell provides extra calcium as well.

Back
Top Bottom