Strange Egg Shell: Warts? Hotspot?

Whispering_Raven

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Ashland City, TN
Hey everyone. First, thanks for reading this. Next, I have a very strange egg today. I believe it is from one my new RIR layers. It's about time for them to be laying, but since I didn't watch to see who layed, I couldn't tell ya. Either way. Please take a look and offer some guidance. The dark spots you are seeing are not freckled shells. They are raised bumps. Thanks! -Tracy

Looks like calcium deposits. Looks almost like she ran out of paint :lol:

Its nothing to worry about either way. Still eatable.

This can happen in times of stress, too much calcium intake, or just because.

It's a very hard shell, and sounds almost like glass if ya click it, but she could be stressed. I have two "hens" that became Roosters and they are hormonal Juvenile Delinquents! One actually killed one of my cochins this morning! Horny (insert bad word here) Trying to get courage to butcher. I think I'm there after seeing one of beautiful snow whites in a heap of feathers. All my chickens are free range on 20 acres, though they don't stray too far. I would hope they are not nutrient deficient in anyway. :-( That would suck! As long as this warty looking egg is ok and i don't have to worry about some kind of issue, that's great. Thank you for the input1

Tracy

It's a very hard shell, and sounds almost like glass if ya click it, but she could be stressed. I have two "hens" that became Roosters and they are hormonal Juvenile Delinquents! One actually killed one of my cochins this morning! Horny (insert bad word here) Trying to get courage to butcher. I think I'm there after seeing one of beautiful snow whites in a heap of feathers. All my chickens are free range on 20 acres, though they don't stray too far. I would hope they are not nutrient deficient in anyway. :-( That would suck! As long as this warty looking egg is ok and i don't have to worry about some kind of issue, that's great. Thank you for the input1

Tracy
I'm going with stress over the roosters.

I have plenty hormonal juvies like you, but none have ever killed a girl :( That's so sad!

Back
Top Bottom