Strange egg??

So why would miss Mable (the light brown leghorn) be laying brown eggs too? She is a leghorn for definite, and her eggs are brown. She was the first to lay and has laid the most. I think Gloria has only laid a total of ... possibly 2 or 3. I've heard roo's play a part in egg color, and now I'm being told different. I am so lost and confused.....
th.gif
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Roos can play a part in egg color geneticaly, but they won't make a difference in the color of the eggs layed by the hens they're mating, just in the color layed by any pullets that they sire. Can you post a picture of your brown leghorn? Leghorns are egg laying machines, but I think the white rocks are lots prettier and have nicer (not so flighty) personalities too.

ETA: It's ok if your lost and confused. You've come to the right place, many of us are lost and confused too, but we help each other out.

Last edited:
I had a pullet that laid bloody eggs for about a month!!! I thought occasional popped blood vessel was normal, but every day for a while?
idunno.gif

Eh, we just washed them off and eat as normal. She eventually got over it
hu.gif

Could be that the brown eggs are just from the White Rock. And the white one could be the Leghorn's first. My hens will go & set on an egg they didn't lay. maybe you just saw her setting on it & it wasn't her egg.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom