Strange Eggs

Ah-HA! I'm glad I asked; saw you were from Scotland, and thought maybe it was something we U.S. folks weren't aware of. It sounds like a great product! I'd continue to use. I use a product called Avia Charge 2000, and I bet it's something like that. AC2000 is made from sea kelp and has lots of minerals in it.

Found todays egg from her and I haven't opened it yet, but the shell is much paler than the others and has a rough sandpapery or chalky feel to it. It also feels really light, about half the weight of the other girls eggs.
hu.gif

It might be a "wind egg," which is a yolkless egg. I often feel like one is lighter than the others, too, but I think it's more due to the shell thickness (at least in my eggs). I've got one hen that always lays shells that are rough like that on the outside; my girls get plenty of calcium and vits/mins, so I think it's just the kind of egg she lays. I've also got another hen that ALWAYS lays eggs with calcium deposits on the shell; she's the only one the does that, and she's done it since her very first egg.

Let us know what the egg looks like inside.

Well today's egg was already eaten by the time I got to it although all the other girl's eggs in the same nest were untouched. I could tell it was the same though, very thin shell. Guess she's heading for the pot. Maybe if I take her in the house and show her the oven she might buck her ideas up a bit!!

Thanks for all you help so far.

Back
Top Bottom