Strange Fly

Evadig

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2023
East Coast and LA
What are these flies and how do I get rid of them? They were there earlier in the summer, then I throughly cleaned out everything and started the deep litter method in all pens. That took care of them for a week but they’re back again. There seems to be at least a hundred of them in the run!

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpeg
    IMG_3276.jpeg
    629.7 KB · Views: 34
I agree they look like drain flies. I know how to get rid of them indoors (they're very persistent) but it's probably impossible to completely get rid of them outdoors. They're attracted to wet environments and things like mildew, algae slime.

What are these flies and how do I get rid of them? They were there earlier in the summer, then I throughly cleaned out everything and started the deep litter method in all pens. That took care of them for a week but they’re back again. There seems to be at least a hundred of them in the run!
Those are drain flies, scientifically known as Psychodidae. I frequently spot them in my bathroom, often perched on the walls. Personally, they don't bother me, but the idea of insects multiplying within your home can be quite vexing.

Back
Top Bottom