Strange foot thing...

rainlips

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 29, 2013
Northern michigan
My hen has feet mites and I was taking care of that today and found this on the bottom of her foot... Any idea on how or what to do? It doesn't seem to hurt her...

That is a bumble, as in "bumble foot". It is a staph infection that won't go away unless treated. You can look on YouTube for videos on doing surgery to remove it. I've had a couple of hens that had it over the years, and I've done the surgery but I find it a little traumatic since there is no anesthesia involved and you have to dig a long way up to get all of the infection out. So my policy now is that I don't treat unless the hen starts to be affected by it. I had a hen this summer with a bumble, but although limping a little, she still laid regularly and was first to run to me when I took out treats. I didn't treat her until it started to affect her. At that point I was able to remove the infection, pack the hole with triple antibiotic, wrap it in vet wrap to keep it clean until the wound healed, and turn her back out with the flock. She is now happy and healthy once more.

If your hen is not limping or acting sore on it, and she is still laying, I would advise taking a "wait and see" approach.

Last edited:
Thank you both! I just got 6 new hens this past weekend, one of those has the issue. I've never seen it before... Another question, she also have a lump on the top of her foot between the toes but it doesn't have a black scab thing in it.... Would this be the same thing just not open yet?

Thank you both! I just got 6 new hens this past weekend, one of those has the issue. I've never seen it before... Another question, she also have a lump on the top of her foot between the toes but it doesn't have a black scab thing in it.... Would this be the same thing just not open yet?
More than likely it is the staph infection coming through the top of the foot. The following is graphic, but the hen I mentioned in my first post, that is when I stepped in and performed surgery on her. Here she is before surgery:

And here is the staph infection I pulled out of there:

Back
Top Bottom