Strange goat question, Kate are you ready for this?

stilwellchick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 16, 2007
Stilwell, KS
I have two pygmy wethers. They were castrated by my vet when they were 2 months old over a year ago. No question that they are not fertile. I have a mini-nubian doe due to kid on June 7th. I have a three legged older pymy doe that was a rescue. I have had her for 7 months. I do not live near any goats. My goats never get out. My fence is very, very high. Well, my little rescue 3- legger pygmy doe has an udder today! I reached down to see what the heck that was all about and she has milk!! Just regular milk. Nothing abnormal in it. What the heck? Any ideas what is going on?

Last edited:
there are random maiden milkers i believe or she might have gone through a false pregnancy if one of your boys or other girl mounted her this is my best guess though i dont have goats but and reading lost about them trying to learn for my first goat

If you are dead set certain she's not pregnant, then its most likely to be a precocious udder. Usually precocious milkers wont have nice tasting milk, but very rarely you find one that has good tasting milk. If its the former, just leave her be. If its the latter, feel free to milk her if you want the milk.

Precocious milkers are not unusual in dairy goats. I once saw an eight-year-old Saanen that gave about a gallon of milk a day. She had never been bred. Sometimes bucks will give a small amount of milk, too. I had one Alpine buck I had to milk out once a week or so. On a whim, I sent his milk to the lab with the rest of the milk samples. His was 3.5% fat with a CMT negative.

Well, every time she is in heat the wethers do mount her. Her udder was not huge like a fresh doe but did have quite a bit in it. I will check her today. One of my wethers used to steal milk from my mini-nubian (she is bred and dry now) so maybe he is nursing on her. She generally does not like him and butts him at any opportunity but I will keep an eye out. I am out with them a lot. Thanks everyone for the helpful info.

Back
Top Bottom